Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making bread

We've always had well-stocked and numerous thrift stores. Maybe that's changed since so much shopping is done on-line.

FrugalFitMom on youtube has a cheap, no knead bread she makes. We've been using the recipe for a while. I like it better than my significant other, but we both like it well enough.

I have had a bread machine for the past five years and use it religiously. I got both at a thrift store (Savers, Goodwill), for around $20 each. I Googled the make/model for each and downloaded the user manual and recipe booklet. Both have been fantastic! I got rid of the first one when the bread pan's coating wore out and the manufacturer said they no longer made pans for that model (Zojirushi, an excellent brand). I make whole wheat, high-fiber bread for myself, and gluten-free bread for DH. We are both very happy with the results and love the smell of the house when the bread is baking. It's very convenient, doesn't take too much time to do, and is a very wholesome, nurturing activity. Highly recommended!

I have a loaf of whole wheat quick bread coming out of the oven in about 5 minutes. Yum!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Geila
    Went to buy Gardnr's breadmaker and they are out of stock! Should've bought it back in March. I don't imagine they'll be in stock anytime soon, and if they are, they'll probably be more expensive. As an alternative to the $150, Amazon is offering other models that start at $344.

Anyone out there looking to re-home one?

Geila
    I see one on Ebay for $90. I've never used Ebay - is it reliable and trustworthy?

The thrift stores here usually had a bank of bread machines because people don’t use them anymore and they were a hot ticket, what, 20 years ago? Although honestly I don’t remember seeing many or any? Lately I’m thinking maybe they just pitch them when they get them in the door anymore because people are not buying them.

I sold mine on Nextdoor last year for 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I see one on Ebay for $90. I've never used Ebay - is it reliable and trustworthy?
    Geila, I buy things from Ebay all the time without issues. I like giving my business to small-time sellers rather than Bezos when I can, and Ebay often has what I want for a competitive price. I would definitely check the seller's feedback rating first. Ebay also arbitrates any issues between buyer and seller and very much gives the benefit of the doubt to the buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I agree with rosarugosa. I much prefer eBay over Amazon.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information