Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corona Testing

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Fascinating stuff. Guess the Spring break revelers have done their work.

And, in other news, Trump's statesmanlike response to governors begging for PPEs and respirators: "We're not a shipping clerk." Way to rise to the occasion, Churchill...
    As a RN, I find him less than inspiring The shortage is so bad that the Oregon State Board of Nursing has told their licensed staff that they are expected to serve the public anyway. Wow, just wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    As a RN, I find him less than inspiring The shortage is so bad that the Oregon State Board of Nursing has told their licensed staff that they are expected to serve the public anyway. Wow, just wow!
    A cottage industry is developing to sew (slightly) protective masks.
    Last time I looked, Amazon had face shields available; don't know how effective they are.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Interesting map. It’s done by a company that makes internet connected thermometers. According to an article in The NY Times they are able to predict flu spikes about 2 weeks ahead of the cdc. Based on the length of fever for covid-19 compared to flu they think they can show spikes in covid in real time. Judging from the map as of now I wouldn’t set foot in Florida at this time.

https://healthweather.us/

Link to the original by times story.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/h...rmometers.html
    i am in Florida and there is a massive flight out of here. Normally people rent at exorbitant prices Jan Feb and March. They are leaving early, especially Canadians. Many others have left to be closer to their kids. Then there are spring break families as well as college age kids. All getting n planes and driving north, stopping n bathrooms and hotels along the way. Nowhere is safe. Disney did the right thing, followed by other by attractions. Our local movie theater shuttered last week along with most public gathering places. So at least some of the infection is moving north.

the chaos continues. My friend went to Sam’s yesterday before they opened and she estimates there were a thousand people in line. Then besides being n the crowded line, went into the crowded store and stood in a long checkout line. Surely there has to .be a better way. Aldi’s And Walmart’s in the area are experiencing proportionately much of the same. And many restaurants are still open, just fewer tables. So much for social distancing.

I did go to a grocery this morning st seven, shortly after they opened. It is so weird to see big gaps in certain areas. Tp, eggs Potatoes, flour and yeast and inexpensive rice all empty. Yet if you wanted to spring for Bobs red mill items or fancier jarred rice you could get what you wanted. Also, I couldn’t find lentils but lots of beans, all spices, hot cereals and most fresh vegetables there. No chicken but lots of beef and pork. I had no worries picking up enough to put out two weeks of nutritious meals. I’ll use up the greens and broccoli first, then on to carrots, winter squash and cabbage. Then on to stuff I have in my freezer, oatmeal, rice and ease into more beans if necessary. Staying calm and knowing how to cook a variety of things is extremely helpful. I also have a container garden.

One thing about Florida is it doesn't seem they are even clamping down yet, it seems reckless, California is basically on lock down at this point. The working from home is it's now the law it seems, but turns out I'm going in to work for now.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Tp, eggs Potatoes, flour and yeast and inexpensive rice all empty. Yet if you wanted to spring for Bobs red mill items or fancier jarred rice you could get what you wanted. Also, I couldn’t find lentils but lots of beans, all spices, hot cereals and most fresh vegetables there. No chicken but lots of beef and pork. I had no worries picking up enough to put out two weeks of nutritious meals. I’ll use up the greens and broccoli first, then on to carrots, winter squash and cabbage. Then on to stuff I have in my freezer, oatmeal, rice and ease into more beans if necessary. Staying calm and knowing how to cook a variety of things is extremely helpful. I also have a container garden.
    I went to the store yesterday. There were eggs and potatoes (but I hear many stores are out of eggs). Tp and flour forget it. SO JEALOUS of the Bob's red mill items. I wish. Here there is only things like rice flour, yea what is anyone going to do with that, I've cooked a lot of things and I don't know what it's good for, except it makes good dusting for fish before sauteing or what have you. Bobs red mill is sold out even on their website! Did find black lentils at the store. Plenty of fresh veggies and meats.
    Trees don't grow on money

Amazon has some excellent basmati rice. At least they did have. I laid in a lot of supplies when this began.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Thanks, Tammy. Very informative link.

Iceland has private and government testing facilities, and a comparatively small (pop 364,000) compact population. Coronavirus testing is free and available to all residents, whether they have symptoms or not, been in contact with someone who tested positive or not. As of a couple days ago, 3,787 people had been tested in Iceland. That would be a ratio of 10,405 per million residents, a comparatively high rate of testing.

There are 473 cases (473/3,787 = 12.5% of the sample tested positive). 22 who tested positive have recovered. 1 died (an Australian who had traveled to Iceland). Data from Johns Hopkins University coronavirus website.

With the passage of time, and the possible transmission of the virus to more people, I would not be surprised to see an increase in the percentage of the Icelandic population who test positive.
    Last edited by dado potato; 3-22-20 at 10:12am.

Yppej
    If 1. Getting the virus gave you immunity to it once recovered, and 2. the test detected antibodies to it rather than the virus itself, you could tell who was still vulnerable, and 3. if there was a vaccine focus on giving it to those vulnerable people. But while some are positing #1 they don't know if that is short-term or lifelong immunity because the virus is so new. No new cases in China suggests the virus has burned through the population, created herd immunity, and is done. We are not there yet with #2 and #3.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    A cottage industry is developing to sew (slightly) protective masks.
    Last time I looked, Amazon had face shields available; don't know how effective they are.
    Face shields certainly protect from fluid but does nothing for airborne which is how COVID=19 was originally defined. They've changed the wording to droplet which has a lot of healthcare workers up in arms. It really changes the use of masks etc. Pray for our Nurses and docs and Paramed/EMTs. Without them, we're in big trouble.

I've told my friends in town I will go back to work if needed. Rest assured, I will not if personal protective equipment PPE is not available.

G, I wouldn’t go back to work under any circumstances. You paid your dues.

G, I wouldn’t go back to work under any circumstances. You paid your dues.

Thread Information