Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus precautions in your home

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Grandparents can be in a real bind with grandchildren needing care and them being in a high risk group. Luckily I donít have any.
    I know. I feel guilty. My VT DS/DIL have GS2 and GD1. What a handful. I asked if they need help and they said they are doing OK--they both have jobs where they can be flexible. I have to tell myself that I survived as a parent raising an 8/7/3/2 y.o. kids + doing family day care for 2-4 other kids every day virtually by myself as DH was working 6am-8pm. But I'd still like to help if I can.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The animal shelters are starting to put out a call for urgent foster homes.

I can guarantee you this virus means a “ dump our dog” extended event.

My own household is barred from taking in more than one dog because the foster dog we have is dog aggressive. He will not tolerate another dog on the premises. So this is where I have to tell myself the starfish story: you work with the one in front of you. You cannot worry about the others.

My friend who moved to New Hampshire, is carefully looking for a rescue dog, But they were a few of them in that part of the country. She has a complicating factor, one of her dogs is dog aggressive.

Here in the epicenter of dog breeding land, between the puppy mills and ghetto pitbull factories, we always have a surplus of adoptable rescue dogs.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-18-20 at 6:12pm.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    If you live with a partner kick them out and make them get their own place, they could have germs. Also don't see them.
    What is everyone's prediction?

More babies in 9 months because people are stuck at home without a lot to do?

Fewer babies in 9 months as people avoid physical contact and/or think of a baby being born during next winter's likely seasonal resurgence of viruses when hospitals are housing corona patients?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    What is everyone's prediction?

More babies in 9 months because people are stuck at home without a lot to do?

Fewer babies in 9 months as people avoid physical contact and/or think of a baby being born during next winter's likely seasonal resurgence of viruses when hospitals are housing corona patients?
    Both more babies and more divorces due to extreme closeness of people you’re supposed to know and love

I have been developing a relationship with a wonderful person who lives two islands over for the past 3 months.

Now we are debating the ethics of our usual "spend the weekend with each other" scheme. Not quite sure how to proceed.

Itís hard to decide. My next decision is whether to see the grandkids in 2 weeks.

But that decision might be made for me, as curfews and shelter in place situations seem to be growing.

That is what we have been finding, that the decisions have been taken out of our hands.

So we concentrate on looking to a brighter future.

DW and I had that discussion last night.

DD works at a big accounting firm and DSiL works at a national bank. Management of both companies seem to be keeping the pedal to the metal in the face of this pandemic. DD's/DSiL's daycare (part of a church) closed this week.

Big Bank arranged with a local chain of day cares for coverage but DSiL called and there are no openings near their part of town. That's not much help. Because Big Bank never outfitted some of DSiL's colleagues to work from home, none of them get to work from home. Considering that the retail climate is almost dead now, it's somewhat baffling to require them to come in to work and twiddle their thumbs, but, hey, big business, amirite?

Big Accounting is letting employees work from home (unusual during "regular" work hours) but not letting up on deadines or quotas (fwiw DD is not a tax accountant). DD says the company is concerned about showing a little humanity for its employees and not having their peer companies join them.

DW and I were asked if we would do some childcare. Both of us are (not much) over 60 but have additional risk factors. Both of us have elderly relatives we care for (albeit indirectly). DD and one of the grandkids has had a cough for the last month or so (presumably not COVID-19 but no one's been tested). We declined. If this were an emergency ("Our daycare closed and we need coverage until next week" or "DSiL has COVID-19; we need some help"), we'd swallow the risk and be there, of course. But the cough is concerning and we're both kind of wiped after chasing two toddlers all day -- just the conditions we don't need to fight off exposure to COVID-19.

Big Accounting and Big Bank could not see this coming? Cannot let the rules and deadlines slip a little, particularly for parents and for the short term? Everything I've seen and heard is that this is not going to be a trivial week or two of isolation before life returns to what we knew. What would DD/DSiL do if the nearest grandparents were hundreds of miles away? I'm aware there are many grandparents parenting kids, but adding to those ranks right now, well, ...

We'll try to figure out stuff we can do with the grandkids that don't require physical presence (maybe like that new Netflix "group watching" feature) to give mom and dad at least a couple of uninterrupted hours to do what they have to do. But, boy, talk about Hobson's choices....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We talked it over yesterday, too, after talking to my son, who is facing some complex issues and problems right now.

Any family member including grandchildren is more than welcome to come stay with us, that is our bottom line, we both agreed. (We both have age and respiratory disease as complicating factors.)

But that's easier to say when no one is going to come because it's so far.

Still, it was helpful to figure out what our position was. And that was what we came up with.

And of course, if someone was very sick, we would go if we could get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    That is what we have been finding, that the decisions have been taken out of our hands.
    Yes, that is the value of the Government taking it off our shoulders (sorry, small gov't folks). It helps people out of awkward social situations, family situations, etc. It creates boundaries, ensures safety across the board, and squelches the efforts of the selfish to make it all about them. It tempers the angst. "Hey, I'd love to come over for a party, but we are prohibited from doing that. Gee, I would if I could."

I hate making decisions.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information