Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus precautions in your home

My daughter in Cambridge had been planning on moving out to her boyfriend's parents' place in Hertfordshire this weekend.

She just found out late last night that Cambridge, in addition to mostly-shutting down, is kicking students, including grad students, out of their housing entirely - they are to pack up the contents and leave. By tomorrow.

Weird, since for grad students, their apartment *is* their house, most have no place to go, especially the foreign students.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Right now, there is ferry service available still. Private boat or airplane are options of course.
    I would think then the answer is No since you have to take public transportation for this purely social, unessential event. event.

So in the more bad news department a friend said the US might shut all the borders so told my son to buy a ticket and get home. He can't because he was in the process of renewing his Vietnamese Visa so they physically have his passport and he won't get it back until the 25th or 26th. Then my middle son who is homeless and has a drug problem called and he is sick. Almost cocktail hour)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So in the more bad news department a friend said the US might shut all the borders so told my son to buy a ticket and get home. He can't because he was in the process of renewing his Vietnamese Visa so they physically have his passport and he won't get it back until the 25th or 26th. Then my middle son who is homeless and has a drug problem called and he is sick. Almost cocktail hour)
    Have two stiff ones in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I would think then the answer is No since you have to take public transportation for this purely social, unessential event. event.
    My experience with the ferry system here is that you can easily distance yourself from others--by staying in your car, for example, on car ferries. It might be more difficult in passenger-only ferries.

Oh no, Terry. How stressful for you guys.

Oh Terry, I am so sorry. I hope your son in Vietnam can get his passport back quickly.
    It is so hard to be at a distance from your loved ones and not know how to help.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My experience with the ferry system here is that you can easily distance yourself from others--by staying in your car, for example, on car ferries. It might be more difficult in passenger-only ferries.
    Oh, I was thinking of a passenger ferry. Well yes car ferries – we have those here too for the Missouri and Mississippi river. So yeah a car ferry would be OK. As for meeting up each weekend, depends on how rigorous the other person is at avoiding unnecessary interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is possible to take the ferry without every leaving your vehicle or making contact with another human. Yay?

Reading Steve’s story about big bank and big accounting and amazed at how different it is with my experience with medium insurance, which has been incredibly supportive and proactive. I’m curious what other ‘big bank’ and ‘big accounting’s are doing. If the others are handling this better they may find a flurry of resumes being sent to them once this crisis has passed, from people pissed off at the less accommodating big bank and big accounting.

Thread Information