Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus precautions in your home

I certainly considered the fact that my groceries were touched by stockers, cashier, bagger, etc. and my mail has been touched by the mail carrier, etc. I made the conscious decision to take reasonable precautions and then hope for the best. I guess we all decide for ourselves what constitutes reasonable, but for me, washing my eggs is over the line.
    My DH and Dsis work at hospitals, so I've had to make my peace with some level of risk.
    As my sister would say, if we die of the corona virus we don't have to worry about getting Alzheimer's. Silver lining!

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    The only additional precaution we've done to date is to keep shoes on the enclosed porch instead of on a tray in the kitchen. We never wore shoes in the house anyways. I do think its time to wash my reusable grocery bags though. I've always been a fanatic about washing my hands when I come in from the outside world.
    I've long washed up like a surgeon after coming in from being out in the world. Now, I let packages sit for a few days before opening them and handle bills as little as possible. So far, so good.

Haven't done anything yet. I'm expecting a package from Amazon tomorrow. I don't think I'll wait a few days before opening it--it's a universal remote for our TV, which we lost in the move, so that is Very Important. God forbid we have to get off our a$$es to change the volume or the inputs.

I do plan on staying on the Island as much as possible. I'll pay somewhat higher prices for our local "supermarket" and maybe venture out to Costco once a month. '

I've told DH that we really have to hunker down on spending. Thankfully, my job is fairly recession-proof, and I can do it from home. I am so lucky. But I still want to get into a depression/recession mindset because it can't hurt and can only help.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh I’m not going to wash my eggs I was just spinning an idea.

Really when I get a next batch of eggs I will keep them refrigerated for many days. Probably that is pretty good for reducing how a virus lives on the surface, even though it is a porous surface.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I certainly considered the fact that my groceries were touched by stockers, cashier, bagger, etc. and my mail has been touched by the mail carrier, etc. I made the conscious decision to take reasonable precautions and then hope for the best. I guess we all decide for ourselves what constitutes reasonable, but for me, washing my eggs is over the line.
    My DH and Dsis work at hospitals, so I've had to make my peace with some level of risk.
    As my sister would say, if we die of the corona virus we don't have to worry about getting Alzheimer's. Silver lining!
    This made me laugh! So true. I'm going to use this as my motivational quote.

After several days of not shopping I'm realizing that there's an important difference between this situation and stocking up for other types of disaster. I was going heavily for things that would likely keep for weeks like soup and pasta, but not stocking too many things that need refrigeration. But that mentality is more appropriate for prepping for a hurricane or earthquake when power loss is likely.

In this situation, though, we're not going to lose power. The water's not going to get cut off. The freezer will keep working. So my next trip to the supermarket will involve a lot more frozen veggies and fruits (and a large tub of ice cream--to hell with the diet!).

I'll need to go out again in a few days. I plan to have a clear list and go early when the store is less likely to be crowded, and I'm going to be in and out as fast as my little legs will carry me.

I really like grocery pickup; I plan to continue with it for most of my grocery shopping even after the current threat is over. You register a payment method, schedule a pickup, drive to a designated spot near the door, call to alert employees that you're on the premises, and they bring your groceries to the car. No human contact necessary. Perfect for pandemics, germophobes, and introverts.

The things that keep for weeks though often have a lot of calories per package (like rice and oats and pasta and beans - more if dried than canned). Frozen veggies and fruits have almost no calories. Frozen meats have calories. Although it's almost besides the point as you can get almost none of that at this point, because everyone has grabbed it.
    Trees don't grow on money

I shopped Thursday and got half and half, ground beef, onions--pretty much everything on my list, with no problem. And that's here at Ground Zero. I already laid in 20 pounds of basmati, coffee, and other essentials from Amazon.

There was no rice, milk, or bread at the two stores we went to yesterday. Glad that is not a problem for everyone.

Thread Information