Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crisis burnout

That is exactly how I feel each morning, Catherine. Ugh; like oh wait, I'm still in this nightmare.

I've been trying to get outside more to take walks because so many of my usual sources of exercise are shut down. It's still too early here for gardening even if I can see the entire lawn. I've pulled back on looking at the news. I do try to pay attention to national and global issues which were demanding my attention before the world became COVID-19 7x24; most of those issues continue despite the pandemic. One surprise (to me) is that I've been cooking up a storm (compared to my usual level of interest); right now there are leftovers from three different meals in the fridge (including St. Patrick's Day's corned-it-myself beef and cabbage).

I knew many things keeping me busy were going to end in April, so this comes a little sooner than I anticipated, but I do get to think about some true retirement projects now. Assuming I live through coronavirus, I've got lots of options. I try not to dwell on my risk factors or think excessively about exposure. A (not particularly foolhardy) friend of mine says "we're all going to die of something", and that's true. Few of us choose our own time and cause. But I want a little more time yet. I'm not done with what I plan to do.

I've heard people compare this pandemic, in some respects, to the Y2K issue. I lived and worked through Y2K and understand that it was high preparation (to almost over-preparation) that made it the non-event it was. I am hopeful that a similar approach to COVID-19 -- on my part, anyway -- will make it as much a non-event as Y2K was.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I would rather be isolated here in my urban core than in Hermann because I have more gardening jobs and opportunities here in the city. I have my own garden which needs a ton of weeding, and then a ton of mulching. And then the community garden area needs a ton of work as well. So once the weather clears up I will have things to do outside.

I suppose once I get everything completely shipshape need to tidy here, I could go to Hermann and start that job as well. But it’s a little early. And I think it’s gonna take me a good two weeks to get the city gardens cleaned and mulched.

There is a sense when we wake up every morning that perhaps this is just a bad dream. One really has to focus on daily moments rather than an unknown future. Leisurely cooking and cleaning, long walks. Not too much TV or internet. Some are keeping daily journals so their babies can read some day. I told DH we need to stretch out projects so that we don't run out of things to do. Yesterday, we rebuilt a rock planter. Today, it is snowing so perhaps making soup from scratch. I found a twitter site that adds a daily thing to make you laugh:
    https://twitter.com/gnuman1979/statu...23796542992387

The problem with cooking is if you are supposed to limit going to the grocery store to one day a week and no guarantee of what items whatever grocery store one decides to roll the dice with this week might have, especially with stores being stripped bare, is it's more about, ok what food can I survive on this week, than making any elaborate recipes, and yes that might be rice and beans one survives on.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    The problem with cooking is if you are supposed to limit going to the grocery store to one day a week and no guarantee of what items whatever grocery store one decides to roll the dice with this week might have, especially with stores being stripped bare, is it's more about, ok what food can I survive on this week, than making any elaborate recipes, and yes that might be rice and beans one survives on pretty much.
    Time to be creative. Imagine yourself like a Food Network "Chopped" contestant. I feel that if we were to find ourselves in a 21st century Great Depression, we would relearn how to be resourceful. That might be one silver lining of all this.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    What are you doing to reduce the stress?
    It's important to stay current with events, but I found that it's also tempting to be saturated with the same or similar media messages over and over though out a day. I'm trying to get a morning and evening update as my limit for news events. I check on friends well-being frequently by email but try not to focus on the Corona. There's plenty of other interesting events in the world to share an interest in, and it's mostly just to stay in touch with people I would have had real time visits with in better days. I do some meditation and stretching or yoga daily and with some warmer days can get out side for gardening or yard work. Catching up on a back log of reading materials, decluttering, and household projects.

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingpines View Post
    This is how I deal with the stress of what is going on now.....
    I help those who can't help themselvesAttachment 3139
    Are those tiny baby squirrels?

Both my jobs (one full, one p/t) are incredibly stressful right now. Unfortunately, I am using food for comfort more than I should. But the great thing is the weather has been beautiful, and last night I could not take one more minute of news (my DH watches all.the.time) or my ruminations about work, so I went outside and weeded, and weeded, and weeded some more. All those awful shotweeds. It felt great. I listened to a cheerful (The Moth) podcast while working. Distraction is my MO.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I seem to be handling stress with naps. I feel one coming on...

Thread Information