Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crisis burnout

Husband's job forced him to telework starting today. He hates telecommuting and got out of his telework agreement about a year ago. He's cranky but he'll learn to deal with it. I still spend 8 hours a day on the job search, seeing fewer positions wanted or told I'll be contacted after the duration. Husband usually works 6:30 to 3:30 and I'm trying to keep 8 to 5 hours. I try to take a minimum 30 minute walk during my lunch break.

I'm happy I got my sewing machine back before the repair shop closed, I can work on some bags and the suit I promised husband. The event I'm making the suit for might be canceled, but I'll worry about that later. I also knit and decided to learn crochet. I'm limiting my corona virus coverage to 1 hour of national news and 1/2 hour of local news.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    The problem with cooking is if you are supposed to limit going to the grocery store to one day a week and no guarantee of what items whatever grocery store one decides to roll the dice with this week might have, especially with stores being stripped bare
    I guess I've always kind of cooked on the fly. Dinner here last night was a sirloin steak, pan-cooked in butter with minced ginger and soy sauce. Except for the steak, all of the ingredients are pretty much staples in this house. If I didn't see a sirloin steak I wanted to buy last week (quality or price) I probably would have looked at another steak cut. Or maybe pork chops. Could even have substituted fish filets in this meal. No butter? Coconut oil, then. Or margarine, if I had it. Oil if not. No ginger? Sub another (dried) herb and maybe leave out the soy sauce. It worked. It was dinner. I hadn't published a menu ahead of time, so if it was different from what I planned, *shrug*. But that's how I cook.

I've been shopping, on purpose, at smaller stores. I have no idea how full or how barren Target, Aldi, or the warehouse grocery store are; I didn't want to brave the crowds or the attitude. Right now the little stores let me get in and out, maintaining my distance, and picking up what I can use (if not always what I want or my preferred brand). I suppose we're luckier than many locales in that most of the smaller stores did not get stripped bare despite being within city limits. But sometimes we get lucky, I guess.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My first day unemployed, I don't even remember what I did. LOL. Today I spent 5 hours really deep cleaning the bathroom - it desperately needed it! Doing that kept me away from the tv and computer, which is a good thing right now. I did have to run out to get a blood test this morning, but then the dr's office called this afternoon and canceled the appointment. But, at least they will get the results and can call me.

I haven't decided what room I'm going to clean tomorrow - lol.

Oh, and dh still has a job, but is now working from home as of this afternoon.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

whisperingpines
    Razz,

I do wildlife rehab, licensed by my state to have wildlife in my possession. These are baby squirrels that lost their home when trees were cut down. I have six right now.They are eat every 3 1/2 hrs, soon it will be every 4 hrs. With no night feedings. Eventually they will be weaned.
    I will have them until they are 16-17-weeks old Then they will be released back into the wild. Right now they range in age from 2 weeks to almost 4 weeks.

whisperingpines
    Yes, Rosarugosa.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I seem to be handling stress with naps. I feel one coming on...
    I'm going to go with wine.

Yppej
    RR I saw a graphic on Facebook I was trying to copy here but I couldn't get it to work. It is called planning your next wine tour and features glasses of wine in various rooms of a house.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    RR I saw a graphic on Facebook I was trying to copy here but I couldn't get it to work. It is called planning your next wine tour and features glasses of wine in various rooms of a house.
    Yes, I saw one meme of going on a pub crawl by having a drink in the different rooms of your house, and I saw another one about studying a map to plan a weekend vacation and it was the home floor plan.

On tv the other day they were talking about virtual happy hours. Maybe I’ll suggest to boss that one day this week we all get On Microsoft teams, have a drink and just chat about stuff the way we would at a normal happy hour. The bonus is that since I’m on the west coast and everyone else is in Chicago or nyc I’d be able to quit work early to attend!

I love that idea.

I just FaceTimed with my 6 yr old grandson for 20 minutes. He played Minecraft and I watched and he acted like I was there beside him as usual. This was as wonderful for me as it was for him.

Thread Information