Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advertising in a covid-19 era

Advertising in a covid-19 era

As I mentioned elsewhere SO and I are currently in Hawaii on vacation. Probably wouldn’t have done the trip if we’d been even a week later, but last week it seemed like a reasonable thing to do. Now that we’re here I’m watching more tv than I normally do. The ads are jarring. People going about normal lives. I assume at some point in the next few weeks they will shift to things that better reflect the new reality. Like door dash explaining how they will help people maintain sanity as people socially isolate. I’m not normally into tv or ads but since SO will likely be spending all his non-work time at home for the foreseeable future I will likely become an expert on this whether I want to or not.

Yppej
    I have noticed the same thing in both TV and radio ads. What's been notably absent are all the political ads by Steyer and Bloomberg. Now there are a couple folks with money to burn on corona PSAs.

Just in the past couple of days we've seen ads informed by the pandemic. The Hy-Vee grocery chain has an ad announcing their new temporary hours (stated, as always, with the intent to offer clean and fully-stocked stores in "these challenging times") and mentioning that they offer curbside pickup and delivery. And I've seen ads for both Buick and Cadillac offering shop-at-home-pickup-car-at-home deals, zero-interest loans, and flexible payment plans (including a 120-day delay in your first payment; how many people are buying a $35,000 if they know they can't make the first payment for another few months? I must be misunderstanding this). But, yes, many ads clearly created and produced Before The World Changed.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I saw an ad this morning for a car (Subaru?) that was a sponsor of the NCAA basketball tournaments. Oops.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Now that I'm home and watching TV more I've noticed James Kirk, previous Captain of the Starship Enterprise, advertising for CPAP cleaning machines. It's worrisome.

Yppej
    Today I am seeing lots of ads referencing the outbreak.

In my inbox today, an ad from a large discounter hawking household cleaners, freezers and bidets. Classy.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Bidets. That’s smart thinking! Far smarter than the charmin ad I saw on Sunday.

As I was driving, some finance company came on talking about how they can help with the hard end-of-life conversations. Either grisly bad timing, or just extremely bad taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Now that I'm home and watching TV more I've noticed James Kirk, previous Captain of the Starship Enterprise, advertising for CPAP cleaning machines. It's worrisome.

Can.... You....Imagine ....How.....His.....Snores......Sound?

Thread Information