Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Quarantine Daily To-Do List and Bookending

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    The seller of the home I’m buying is going into assisted living. So she is not helpful, but her kids are moving her out. With the little time I’ve been around her she definatly has some dementia.

But actually the latest is me moving the closing date back. I was to close on the house I’m buying on 4/13, and sell mine on 4/20. But with everything going on I decided I didn’t want to take the chance that my buyer might back out. And if we are looking at a long recession I didn’t want to own a extra house. So I’m selling mine on 4/20 and buying on 4/21, hopefully.
    yes, that is what I would do. Having too much asset tied up in real estate terrifies me.

i am relieved we unloaded our set of tiny houses 2 months ago.

While we do now have two houses, we do not of course have payments on them. Our Hermann house is simple and not much more expensive to own than the set of tiny houses in the city we just unloaded, even living there with utilities on.

We havent yet signed a contract with a contractor for renovation of our Hermann house.I am already thinking about ways to cut back on that, one being to have contractor build garage and “white box” the interior, and from there we subcontract the rest. And by “subcontracting” I do mean doing much of the work ourselves.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-27-20 at 11:45am.

IL, maybe the contractor would be willing to cut the price significantly due to the circumstances.

Hana, you are seeing a man’s suit!?! Wow, that is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, maybe the contractor would be willing to cut the price significantly due to the circumstances.
    Oh I think there will be negotiable prices in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    yes, that is what I would do. Having too much asset tied up in real estate terrifies me.

i am relieved we unloaded our set of tiny houses 2 months ago.

While we do now have two houses, we do not of course have payments on them. Our Hermann house is simple and not much more expensive to own than the set of tiny houses in the city we just unloaded, even living there with utilities on.

We havent yet signed a contract with a contractor for renovation of our Hermann house.I am already thinking about ways to cut back on that, one being to have contractor build garage and “white box” the interior, and from there we subcontract the rest. And by “subcontracting” I do mean doing much of the work ourselves.
    I could pay cash, but with interest rates where they are, and planning on $150,000 in updates, I figured I would borrow some. Also the dock and boat will probably be a additional $100,000-$150,000. Im thinking boat prices will probably be a little lower in a few months, so I may save a little there.

We are actually two months away from normal planting time
    We are too, last frost date is usually around Mother's day. But these are hellebores, and they don't mind a chill or two. Or snow, or frost, or ice, or.....
    I've done my 30 minutes of misc. paperwork. Ready to attach the shoe mess.

We went grocery shopping today. It is amazing to me that was once a mundane errand is now a death-defying challenge. DH and I sit in the car before we go in and discuss strategy. Got the sanitizer - check. List in my hand and that helps keep me from touching my face, in fact I hold it with both hands when I'm not reaching for something in the store. DH keeps both hands on the cart handle when not reaching for something. Credit card in my pocket so I don't have to be touching my wallet and everything in my purse while I am in **contaminated hands mode** in the store. Everyone in the store is civil and seems to be on the same page, do what needs to be done, keeping some degree of distance, although the 6 feet thing often is not feasible. Did not hear a single cough or sneeze the entire time we were in the store. Reusable bags are currently banned. Many people wearing masks and gloves, but most were not. Ran into our neighbor and had a pleasant chat which we continued on the street at home as we unloaded our cars. I was so excited to see toilet paper on the shelves, even though they were skimpy little packages, but that made it possible to spread a scarce resource further. I have toilet paper, but seeing it in the store after almost a month felt like a return to civilized life or something. (I think we have the makings of a stupid reality TV show where contestants go to a grocery store and if they touch their faces they DIE and if they get toilet paper they win some type of bonus - "A baby's arm holding an apple").
    It was a beautiful day and I worked in the garden this afternoon. It was a much more serene experience!

Amazon/Whole Foods just delivered my order promptly--22 items, with only one substitution. That gives me confidence that I don't need to go to a brick and mortar store any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Amazon/Whole Foods just delivered my order promptly--22 items, with only one substitution. That gives me confidence that I don't need to go to a brick and mortar store any time soon.
    But think of the excitement you are missing!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    We went grocery shopping today. It is amazing to me that was once a mundane errand is now a death-defying challenge.
    That was pretty much my feeling, too. Food shopping even used to be fun. It likely will be again someday. But these days, it's get in, pick up what you need or can find (gingerly), check out, and leave. Weird stuff like holding on to the list with both hands or using a disinfectant wipe (mine) to wipe the stylus I need to sign for the purchase. No interest in doing this again any time soon.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information