Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Just checking in....

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Tradd they are so stupid. If they kept you on the payroll the bailout would cover the cost. Some companies are now recalling laid off workers so they can get Federal dollars. Also by laying you off they will have to pay higher unemployment insurance premiums. You will land up in a better place, your gain their loss.
    Stupid doesn’t even begin to describe it.

What’s a good article to see exactly what’s in the stimulus bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Whatís a good article to see exactly whatís in the stimulus bill?
    Tradd, I thought this one had enough meat on its bones -- specifics -- and doesn't spend lots of column inches on "reaction".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

It's interesting to see how different friends/family/etc are coping or not coping right now. SO and I are doing ok. We're nervous, and I find it difficult to stay focused while working, even though working from home is nothing new to me at this point. But overall we're in a pretty good place compared to lots of people and we know it. I was surprised today when my retired sister expressed despair at the reality that social distancing will likely have to continue for a few months. She's as much of an introvert as I am, so it made me realize that even though I'm not being particularly focused with work, I am at least going back to it and getting stuff done, as opposed to just obsessively staring at the news/facebook/whatever.

One of the things I've been doing is picking one random person each day from my phone's contact list that I haven't been in touch with for at least a month and sending them a text to ask how they're doing. It's been a great way to get in touch with people i haven't connected with in a while, and it also keeps me focused on the positive and not worrying about stuff I can't control. If tomorrow brings bad news I'll deal with that tomorrow. There's no point in worrying about "what if"s today.

Mom is strangely more calm. It is apparent that she needs something or someone to worry about to keep her mind off other things. We have ensured she is supplied with good food and that we check with her every day.

I am still quilting which takes my mind off the news where I have no ability to change what is happening. I check in with Dr John Campbell's youtube daily video.

We still have tradesmen coming in to finish the last parts of our bathroom remodeling. Today is hopefully the last of the painter and electrician. Then it will only be the shower door which cannot come until the business reopens.

Husband is having the biggest problem with the whole stay at home. He is used to being out on Habitat builds or other outdoor activities every day of the week. He forces himself to exercise but both of us enjoy group exercise so much more. I cannot even have him install the bathroom shelves until all the work is done and the contract completed. Maybe I will try to get him to clean his basement storage room.

Any of my problems pale when compared to most everyone else's.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Two sandhill cranes walk around the pond near my house daily and the baby seems to grow each day. I can see two great blue herons nests from my backyard with binoculars. One has two babies and the other has one.
    Yesterday weeding the garden I saw some monarch caterpillars on the milkweed. Oh happy day. My neighbor feeds bluebirds and they are busy flying in and out.
    the other day we saw a moorhen nest on a walk and they were busy shoring up the nest. When the nest sitter stood up we could see eggs.

right now Iím sitting in the screened lanai listening to some bird squawking, and an alligator roaring in the swamp behind my property. Itís the beginning of mating season and Someone is looking for love.

I think if this is only a few months that will be on the short end of the projections Iím hearing.

flowerseverywhere - thanks so much for sharing all that. It was a very calming read.

I've been trying to pick a project a day (after official job-hunting "work", etc.). Yesterday was actually cleaning my desk... what a mess, but I managed to get it done. That cleaning led to sorting, identifying, grouping, etc. electronic wires, cords, earbuds, batteries, etc. I didn't quite get that done and will - hopefully - continue today. Amazing how many similar cords/wires I have that all connect to/do the same thing. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Two sandhill cranes walk around the pond near my house daily and the baby seems to grow each day. I can see two great blue herons nests from my backyard with binoculars. One has two babies and the other has one.
    Yesterday weeding the garden I saw some monarch caterpillars on the milkweed. Oh happy day. My neighbor feeds bluebirds and they are busy flying in and out.
    the other day we saw a moorhen nest on a walk and they were busy shoring up the nest. When the nest sitter stood up we could see eggs.

right now I’m sitting in the screened lanai listening to some bird squawking, and an alligator roaring in the swamp behind my property. It’s the beginning of mating season and Someone is looking for love.
    Tis the season for love. Thanks for sharing. The love is apparent with the birds in my back yard and wherever I walk my dog for an hour and a half. The sun shining, my laundry is on the line and I am considering baking some apples loaves using applesauce instead of oil in the recipe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/223602/apple-bread/.
    I watched Torville and Dean win the Gold in Ice Dancing on Youtube last night and am just as amazed now as I was then at the sheer beauty of their movements with the music of Bolero.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8obUdxnTlc
    We are blessed with all the visual offerings online.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Tis the season for love. Thanks for sharing. The love is apparent with the birds in my back yard and wherever I walk my dog for an hour and a half. The sun shining, my laundry is on the line and I am considering baking some apples loaves using applesauce instead of oil in the recipe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/223602/apple-bread/.
    I watched Torville and Dean win the Gold in Ice Dancing on Youtube last night and am just as amazed now as I was then at the sheer beauty of their movements with the music of Bolero.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8obUdxnTlc
    We are blessed with all the visual offerings online.
    yes, that Torville and Dean routine is memorable.

I was once a big fan of ice skating, even going so far as to pay nearly $1,000 for a pass to the U.S. Championships held over one week in St. Louis.*

Any more, I just watch ice dancing. The singles and doubles competitions are all about landing triples and quads and that stuff is a bore to me since I canít really tell how many turns they do in the air, and do not care. Their new emphasis on jumping beans has spoiled the artistry.

*What I learned from that experience was that the big ticket price just secures you a seat near the ice for the Friday night and Saturday night competitions, televised with every seat full. All of the practices which are open to the public, as well as the junior and novice competitions, are poorly attended and anybody can sit anywhere.

Thread Information