Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Just checking in....

Good to know about Zoom - thanks. Our temple has been using that for morning prayers. We get a fresh link every day, so I'm curious how/what is actually "saved".

For family, we have been using Skype. Probably just as good/bad as the rest of them.

Stay safe and healthy, everyone!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    We had a family Google Hangout the other night--is that "safer"?
    Yes and no. If you've already bought into the Google ecosystem (gmail email address, using Google for Web searches, Google Home device at home, etc.) then Hangouts doesn't give Google much new about you. Me, living in a non-Google world (I even shut off their Javascript and cookies in one of my browsers), I wouldn't want to use it. But I'm weird that way.

The old saying is, "If there's no cost for the product, then you are the product." It's almost unavoidable these days at some level, but, like COVID-19, I can choose to lower my exposure. Or I can understand what I'm giving up in exchange for "free" and choose to make the deal anyway. But you should at least be able to make your decision based on having all the facts. That's been a long-running battle in the digital world and it's far from over.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I finally downloaded Marco Polo so I can video with my niece and brand new grandnephew - he's just a week old. Privacy concerns have been put aside for now in the interest of other things. I have to say that I really like the app. I wish they would just sell subscriptions for it instead of giving it as "free" with us as the product, as Steve mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Just going to mention that Zoom's iPhone app (if not others; hard to believe they're doing this only on iOS) collects a lot of information about meeting participants and sends it on to Facebook's booming advertising empire
    And, now, there's a new version of Zoom for iOS that does not ship information off to Facebook:
    the company says it was made aware that the Facebook SDK was collecting device information unnecessary for us to provide our services,”
    The app was updated Friday in the App Store. It wouldn't hurt people using other versions (Android, etc.) to see if there's an update for them, either.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Resume work today and I hope to get out for a bit of a walk.

It's finally sunny a bit. We had a very windy and rainy weekend.

Thread Information