Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just checking in....

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    What are you learning? How do their perspectives differ from ours?
    I've always been a news junkie. Grew up in the Detroit area watching the CBC station in Windsor, ON. It was always amazing to me growing up how much more the US was mentioned in their news, rather than the other way around. I've been listening to the BBC for 3-4 years now.

It's hard to describe. Listen for yourself. And with the BBC, don't just listen to the World Service. Listen to 5 Live or Radio 4. It's news meant for within the UK.

Youtube is a fast free way to get overseas perspectives. I can get Korean, Japanese, DW (Germany), Sky, BBC, French, Canada, etc. Some are live streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I've always been a news junkie. Grew up in the Detroit area watching the CBC station in Windsor, ON. It was always amazing to me growing up how much more the US was mentioned in their news, rather than the other way around. I've been listening to the BBC for 3-4 years now.

It's hard to describe. Listen for yourself. And with the BBC, don't just listen to the World Service. Listen to 5 Live or Radio 4. It's news meant for within the UK.
    I agree, I noticed that years ago, it is amazing how often the U.S.figures in overseas news stories.

i remember Being on the isle of Arran in Scotland at the seaside cottage of DH’s auntie when I heard Jeffrey Dahmer was killed in prison.

what? Why would Scotland run this story? That is just a typical daily story.

In Switzerland
    i remember sitting in his aunt’s living room watching tv and a story about the U.S. came on. I didnt understand the audio,but from the footage I was,aware of the story, and believe me it was no earth shattering piece.

We are bigger than life to the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We are bigger than life to the rest of the world.
    I firmly believe that, beyond airplanes and iPads, one of America's biggest export industries is culture: movies, music, TV, books, and all that come with them.

I was in former East Germany six months after the Berlin Wall came down, visiting with a friend, and found the most precise way I could define Minnesota's location for our hosts was to say "near Canada". I was floored when someone responded (in German), "Oh, where Prince is from."

By our culture do they know us.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Checking in - still here. Have managed to get out most days for a walk but that has been it. Contemplating the grocery store today. Not sure.

Need to continue job hunting and will probably clean the upstairs bathroom.

Hopefully the sun will come out and lift my spirits. Hope everyone else is well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Hope the sun comes out today for you, Happystuff. It is supposed to get a little warmer today, and that would be really nice.

We had a bit of fog here in northern IL today. Combined with sun, it was pretty diving into the office.

I’m glad I’ve got a routine. I know too many people who are just sort of hopping around aimlessly these days.

A FB invited me to a group with workout videos done by her regular instructor. Seems my speed. They’re in the U.K. so I won’t be doing any of the live ones but the videos stay up so I can do them later in the day.

Found something that lifted my spirits and made me cry. Thought I would share:

https://youtu.be/QagzdvzzHBQ
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

With patience everything is possible.

Reminded that Julian of Norwich lived through the Black Death of 1348-50.

"All shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well."

Thread Information