Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Just checking in....

We are so grateful to be able to get by when many will have hard times. Grocery shopping has been a big frustration and we are getting low on certain things since we didn't hoard like so many. Tried the online order store pickup option and only got a fraction of the items. I am starting to see that DH may unravel if this goes on too long. Our house is pretty shipshape so not a lot he can find to do and not allowed to go out and shoot photos as he likes to do. His mom is sequestered in assisted living and complains daily so that really gets to him. Plans were to put the house up for sale and move back to TX but all that is on indefinite hold.

My church is doing a virtual coffee hour on Sunday via Zoom. Priest asked us to make sure we were “decent.”

I think I just worked about 150-180 hours in 12 days. Impossible to count cause I was on call, taking middle of the night calls, doing conference calls and payroll on the weekend ... basically either working or sleeping for 12 days.

I have never done that much work in 12 days before.

I am off until Monday morning. Woo hoo!

And I’m still healthy. I’m so lucky to be healthy.

Tammy, glad to hear you can get some rest now!

Wow Tammy I cannot even imagine.

Funny thing is, I still like what I do.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    My nature happening yesterday:
    weeding the back garden there was a monarch caterpillar. I hope there is enough milkweed to sustain it.
    there was a very noisy bird night before last, it sounded like a pterodactyl in Jurassic Park. It kept a lot of the neighborhood up with its screeching. It turned it to be a Limpkin and by mid day there was a bird answering it. It was not out screeching last night so I think it might have found its mate so all is good.

but as I was outside yesterday repotting my out of control African Violets a big black snake suddenly went whizzing by, chased by a mockingbird. The bird was flying and swooping down to peck at the snake. I’m guessing it has a nest somewhere and the snake was looking for breakfast. Snakes give me the creeps but these are harmless beneficial snakes.

the mockingbirds crack us up with their song variety. We have lots of them and they have such a variety of calls. I’ve heard them sound like numerous birds, such as jays, cardinals, red wing blackbirds and once even a cat meowing.

Thanks, Flowers. I had to check what a limpkin is:

Looking like something between a crane and a rail, this odd wading bird has no close relatives. It is widespread in the American tropics, but enters our area only in Florida and southern Georgia -- only where it can satisfy its dietary requirement for a certain fresh-water snail. Mostly solitary, Limpkins may be overlooked as they stalk about in marshes and swamps; they draw attention with their piercing banshee wails, often heard at dawn or at night.
    https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/limpkin
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    My church is doing a virtual coffee hour on Sunday via Zoom. Priest asked us to make sure we were “decent.”
    Just going to mention that Zoom's iPhone app (if not others; hard to believe they're doing this only on iOs) collects a lot of information about meeting participants and sends it on to Facebook's booming advertising empire -- even if you don't have a Facebook account. So, yeah, be sure you're at least "decent" if you choose to join.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Just going to mention that Zoom's iPhone app (if not others; hard to believe they're doing this only on iOs) collects a lot of information about meeting participants and sends it on to Facebook's booming advertising empire -- even if you don't have a Facebook account. So, yeah, be sure you're at least "decent" if you choose to join.
    Wow.. Thanks for the info!!! I use Zoom for professional purposes. We had a family Google Hangout the other night--is that "safer"?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information