Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Just checking in....

Not much has changed around here. Trying to stay connected with family and friends, getting out for a walk every non-rainy day, and trying to get motivated to do... anything. Would love to start some project, but doing so would mean spending money and with income now limited, not sure if that is the smart way to go.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Thanks for the post, Happystuff. My life is similar. I focus on phoning a few friends each day and then carry on. I have been housebound for over a week except for my daily
    1 1/2 hours walk with my dog. Each week I do a batch of sprouts. This week is mung beans which will be lovely in stir-fries.

This morning I am starting some bread and I may make a loaf of apple quick bread to bake at the same time.

I decided that today with the sunshine, I will start the limited outdoor pruning and cleanup of my yard. The pick-up of garden waste starts next week.

I want to start some seeds for some balloon flowers that I saved from last year. I also want to make some mini-pots out of newspaper for seeds that I need to buy. I did buy the potting soil last week when I was out.
    My kitchen cupboards need to be deep cleaned.
    OK, now I have made myself a list of things to do.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

I ventured out to a little nearby grocery yesterday and decided afterwards that it will be my last trip out. Shelves were empty and it was way more crowded than it should have been. I have placed an order with Instacart but don't have high hopes that most of the list will be fulfilled. I am seeing that we will get less picky about what we order as the days move on. I have sewn up some masks which I have to say look more protective than many I see wearing. Wish I could go buy gardening and landscaping supplies but will have to get creative with what we have on hand. I am making seed starter pots out of toilet paper tubes. On the cooking front, I found some yeast in the cabinet so will try some no-knead bread since we have run out of store bought bread. Another snowstorm on the way...blechh!

So far our grocery store has been fine. I mean there’s not the exact brand of bread I like, and of course there is no toilet paper and they are limiting water. But that is a minor stuff.

I mainly go there for fresh stuff.

Pinky you are having snow?! Ack! We are having a lovely spring weather.

It's basically impossible to order to grocery delivery here AND impossible to order grocery pick up AS WELL, it's been overwhelmed, no available slots. Every single grocery chain? Not sure, they don't all offer it of course, but many of the big players. There is food at the stores though. Maybe the delivery and pick-up situation improves I don't know.

Everyone should not have been using this, healthy younger people should have left it for those with conditions that leave them vulnerable and those over 60 at least, that's why I'm looking into it, for my mom not me.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

We have two "supermarkets" on the island. They have had their usual stock of "just what you need"--no where near the variety of a major supermarket but way more than a convenience store, and the prices are somewhere in-between.

One of the stores just transitioned to curbside only.

The other, closer to me, is still open and I think they are starting to struggle stocking shelves, but I was still able to spend $100 on basics. I have enough meals for at least a week. If I had ventured to a major supermarket or to Costco, I'm sure I would have spent far less, but I'm happy to have a local store that still has a decent enough choice.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I've given up on Safeway for the moment, but Amazon/Whole Foods delivered satisfactorily. I'm good for now.

I did a grocery store pickup yesterday and it actually went well. Some things were no longer available, but I was able to shop for myself and two elderly neighbors. I also ran out today to Home Depot garden shop and picked up 6 bags of soil. There were not many people around at all and it was a quick in and out. If the sun stays out and the wind dies down, I may venture outside for some yard work.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Thread Information