Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Living Dividends

Geila

Simple Living Dividends

With all salons closed across the state, someone posted about how we'll finally know what everyone's hair color really is. And I thought how glad I am that I stopped coloring years ago. No roots to worry about! All my female friends and family color their gray, I'm the lone au naturale exception. Just one more small example of the many unexpected dividends of simple living. It reminded me of an old Seinfeld episode where newscasters are forced to forgo makeup and hair styling. It was pretty hilarious.

What are your pleasant recently discovered simple living dividends?

I used cloth diapers and wash clothes for my babies. The same system will work in a post toilet paper world. 😄

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I used cloth diapers and wash clothes for my babies. The same system will work in a post toilet paper world. 
    I have lots of old sheets on hand plus fabric from my never-began sewing projects. Dividend #2! Thanks, Tammy.

The fact that I cannot get my hair cut and colored is the least of my worries at this point(

I stopped coloring my hair about 4 years ago. My hair is salt and pepper, with more silver at the front. I have a short cut, last done in Feb. I'm good for at least 2 more months.

Being used to amusing myself, mostly by reading and by listening to the radio, is a valuable skill at this time. I know people who are going out of their minds without being able to visit people.

Well if you wash them in the bathtub maybe, there is a limit to what I want to expose the shared apartment laundry to, no I just can't see it. The thing is sharing a lot of things, an apartment laundry not that I have the hookup for my own, exercise equiptment in the gym, public transportation although I only made so much use of it - I took it but not for my commute or anything (and it would be scary to rely on it now), seemed like a good idea once upon a time.
    Trees don't grow on money

My dividends include ample homemade salsa, stewed tomatoes, bread, frozen veggies/fruits and pickles from last year; homemade laundry detergent; classic style clothes that last for years; simple haircut that I can trim a little myself; simple minimal cosmetics; simple wants and needs that are easily met.

All that said, I confess that I am struggling with the loss of the rest of the MetoperaHD season, Stratford and Shaw Festivals where I have ordered tickets to see now cancelled shows, the cancelling of my cruise to Alaska...

Basically, I have a comfortable roof over my head, ample supplies of life's necessities, my cute little beagle for company, a garden to plan for, lots of safe walking spots and family and friends to talk to over the phone, Facetime or email. Lots more of valuable dividends than losses. Interesting thread to make on think.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

There has been a lot of discussion abut "family cloth" aka non-disposable toilet paper on several frugal places I frequent online.

I guess I would do it for number 1, but not for number 2. It's just me, and I have a washer/dryer in my apartment.

I've been using cloth for urine - a pea green washcloths, change them frequently and it has cut back on toilet paper use tremendously. Not sure about the cloth for bm's, but if diapers used to be soaked and washed, I suspect that could work. I'm hoping not to have to resort to that, but we have PLENTY of rags.

I miss the library the most.

I feel bad for the people who find staying home such an ordeal. Home is my favorite place to be and boredom is never an issue.

Thread Information