Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Living Dividends

I’m itchy because it’s just about the beginning of dive season and I’m not sure when I’m going to be able to dive again!

If I knew I would be working from home, I would have got faster internet. The thing is I have slow cheap (and it IS much cheaper than anything faster about $23 a month) DSL because it's all I needed, didn't care about movies and videos etc. But I didn't know I'd be working from home, not only was that not a requirement, it was not an option, and pretty much never has been much anywhere. This is an anti-dividend. Why am I so cheap? It works but it could be faster.

I had some money to do some fairly minimal stock up, to buy groceries for 2 weeks at a time if I want etc.. That's mostly due to ok income (ok realies the stock up money was money I saved for some things I can't do now anyway!), I've never ever pretended one could really live with any sort of resilience without earning a decent income, hard as that may be to find sometimes.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    If I knew I would be working from home, I would have got faster internet. The thing is I have slow cheap (and it IS much cheaper than anything faster about $23 a month) DSL because it's all I needed, didn't care about movies and videos etc. But I didn't know I'd be working from home, not only was that not a requirement, it was not an option, and pretty much never has been much anywhere. This is an anti-dividend. Why am I so cheap? It works but it could be faster.

I had some money to do some fairly minimal stock up, to buy groceries for 2 weeks at a time if I want etc.. That's mostly due to ok income (ok realies the stock up money was money I saved for some things I can't do now anyway!), I've never ever pretended one could really live with any sort of resilience without earning a decent income, hard as that may be to find sometimes.
    Could or would you consider calling to get faster internet. The $ difference may be worth the aggravation????

Yes the thing is I suspect everyone is doing that now, as basically the whole area is on lockdown BY LAW, everyone who isn't considered essential (and whether we are unclear) is either working from home or out of a job, as work from home suddenly became the law last week, of course many companies moved to work from home sooner but we didn't really have plans to. So it might be awhile.
    Trees don't grow on money

ANM: It might be something they can do at the flip of a switch, so probably worth the aggravation of making the phone call. Just have a book handy for the inevitable lengthy hold time.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I feel bad for the people who find staying home such an ordeal. Home is my favorite place to be and boredom is never an issue.
    It's nice that being a hermit is suddenly a virtuous activity and not evidence of sociopathy, isn't it?

I have never been one to waste things but resourcefulness is really kicking in. Washing the alum foil and freezer bags. Every piece of trash gets scrutinized to see if it might have another use. I am saving newspapers to make pots for seedlings. Saved the net lemon bag in case I need to make a scrubby for dishes. And so on...

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I have never been one to waste things but resourcefulness is really kicking in. Washing the alum foil and freezer bags. Every piece of trash gets scrutinized to see if it might have another use. I am saving newspapers to make pots for seedlings. Saved the net lemon bag in case I need to make a scrubby for dishes. And so on...
    Good for you! Some family and friends used to laugh at me when I would cut the glued edges off of cereal bags and use as waxed paper. I think some of these little things are starting to be appreciated now.

I've also been trying to make sure that absolutely no food goes to waste. Someone brought us some apples yesterday that are just on the edge, will cut them up and put them on the dehydrator today. Same with some excess cabbage, etc.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    put [apples] on the dehydrator today. Same with some excess cabbage, etc.
    Dehydrated cabbage? I'm intrigued....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    It's nice that being a hermit is suddenly a virtuous activity and not evidence of sociopathy, isn't it?
    But most sociopaths really, really need other people--they need them to feed their egos and to exploit for personal gain.

Thread Information