Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to thank essential workers in our community?

Geila

How to thank essential workers in our community?

I went grocery shopping on Thursday and was so touched by how friendly and helpful the staff was. I'm also grateful for everyone who continues to do their job in order to make our lives easier, from our postal carriers to our healthcare workers. I wish there was a good way to show our appreciation and thanks.

Anyone have ideas? We give our postal carrier a Starbucks gift card at holidays, but that's out now, I think. Not sure what small things I could do to show appreciation for their willingness to continue to serve us despite putting themselves at risk.

An email to a supervisor, praising the worker, might go a long way, and doesn't put anyone in danger from contagion. Similar would be post on the company's FB page (if you do FB) or a community forum of some type.

You could provide gift cards for something like pizza to a certain location. That way, the pizza place gets business and the workers get a meal they didn't have to worry about.

Maybe later, once this is over, you can do something more. But no baked goods, etc., or anything of that sort right now.

I agree with thanking people, or showing appreciation in a manner that an employee's supervisor would see it. Getting the message across that their efforts are appreciated is a very basic "pay back".

There may also be ways to "pay it forward" in the weeks and months ahead. By that I mean out of my appreciation for the solid help I received from Tweedle-Dee, I could go out of my way to help Tweedle-Dum. I believe it is an occasion for compassion

We got takeout from outback and I tipped her 11 for a 29 order. She said all but 3 servers lost their jobs. She said people are being generous.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We got takeout from outback and I tipped her 11 for a 29 order. She said all but 3 servers lost their jobs. She said people are being generous.
    The ones who are working, are certainly being tipped better. Are they splitting them with those that aren't?

How would I know? Also it’s not like takeout is busy either.

My son;s restaurant is open for take out only and he said they are splitting all tips. People are tipping very generously, which is wonderful.

This is good.
    no gifts or gift cards, just cash.

I thought you might have asked.
    And it depends on the takeout. A friends restaurant, is currently doing 80% of their old business, with less hours and takeout only. (no delivery service)

I second somehow letting the person's supervisor know how good a job someone is doing. Many companies have internal programs in which employees are given points for good customer service. If nothing else, it lets the supervisor know just how good a job some employees are doing.

Sometimes there are formal programs (Target has one of these; forms are available at the customer service desk); sometimes I send an email through the company's Web site (if it's a smaller company); sometimes I will put the feedback on the organization's Twitter or Facebook page. There are times I've asked for the supervisor's contact info and I get a phone number or email address back.

I don't know how far these go, but I know I've done what I can to recognize exceptional service (well, that and continuing to be a customer or client).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information