Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking, Eating during Virus lockdown

Razz. You may be right about the cost of salmon versus sardines, I just eyeballed it and didn’t do a per pound calculation.

I think of sardines as being a poor man’s food and salmon as being a rich man’s food. But this kind of sardine did not have bones in the backs of these fish, hmmm. I did not notice? They were whole fish not pieces.

Will experiment further.

We sometimes have a lunch of good quality sardines on crackers along with slices of apple and cheese. When this all got going a few weeks back, I went though our food and came up with 20 dinners using what we have with half being vegetarian. Last night we made black bean and sweet potato enchiladas which were pretty tasty. We always buy a whole frozen sockeye which makes several meals. The tail section gets smoked when DH does BBQ and then we make a yogurt/cream cheese spread with it. We have never gone so long without eating out so this is an interesting situation to be in. I have lots of seeds started in case we can't get fresh produce reliably. I hear that grocery shopping is still very iffy but we are making a quick run tomorrow so we'll see. People continue to hoard as there is little dry cat food or litter in our stores so I am told.

I just put some of my broccoli sprouts on my sandwich- Wow! Really really enjoyed them. May never eat mature broccoli again, LOL

Yppej
    The grocery store is out of random things each week, and of course water and toilet paper. Last week there was no eggplant, although that is not stockpileable. I am eating what I can get and will try a different supermarket next week after finding a bent screwdriver on the trunk of my car last time, like someone was trying to pry open the trunk and look for TP or other goodies to steal.

I like the costco sardines - boneless. Must agree I don't like those crunchy little spinal bones at all! I like them on ry krisp too. So far I haven't found food hardship, in a way I prefer having to choose from what there is rather than spending hours looking for something particular. Around here the supermarkets are surprisingly well stocked with perfectly edible food, again as long as you're flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    I just put some of my broccoli sprouts on my sandwich- Wow! Really really enjoyed them. May never eat mature broccoli again, LOL
    Love any kind of sprouts! Haven't been doing as many, but sort of saving them. If fresh produce ends up getting harder to obtain, I'll start up with more sprouting.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I've bought a lot of vegetables becuase all of the situation. How do you store cucumbers for long term? Do you just put them on the frefrigerator wrapped with newspaper or do you have a better solution?

I get up to two weeks from the cucumbers I've been buying; I use a little more than one a week. I suppose, depending on what you were using them for, you could slice them and put them in a light vinegar brine (not as strong as a pickle brine but enough to pickle them a little). I could do that and use the cucumbers in salads; not sure how well they'd work in other dishes.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Well I opened some sardine's in piri piri I had bought, I like herring much better, sardines are still sardines. Canned salmon is also better. I also had kale this week, prefer chard. If I end up having to eat kale and sardines in the apocalypse, I suppose I will be alive and super healthy, but I will not enjoy eating very much.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I get up to two weeks from the cucumbers I've been buying; I use a little more than one a week. I suppose, depending on what you were using them for, you could slice them and put them in a light vinegar brine (not as strong as a pickle brine but enough to pickle them a little). I could do that and use the cucumbers in salads; not sure how well they'd work in other dishes.
    Are these English cucumbers? I find English cucumbers store longer than regular variety does.

Thread Information