Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Stimulus package

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I was thinking about that, too... the package is meant to offset losses incurred by individuals and businesses. I'm lucky in that my business is not impacted, so why not give my share to someone or something that's really hurting?
    two points

1) The government does not do a good job of figuring out who is really needy and taking appropriate action

2) Just give your check back to the US treasury, but you should include a handling fee of $37.28 (my guess) to deposit because I’m sure it cost something like that thru the bureaucracy

I like Roger’s idea so if we find ourselves with a check I may do that.Imagine, me determining where my own tax dollars go for charitable giving what a concept.

Our tax guy called today with the bad news that we owe a crarp ton of money, around $10,000. We have to give all of our ACA subsidies back. But that’s fine, we were expecting a big tax bill this year last; year was embarrassingly low.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Not according to the language in the bill, it allows you to 'self certify' that you quit your job because of Covid-19 and still receive benefits.
    Don't drop dead of shock here, Alan.....I agree with rhe jist of your point. It's along the lines of people self certifying in Arizona that they have accute pain to get Arizona MMJ cards. The way the law was written this loophole exists and is indeed taken advantage of. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Don't drop dead of shock here, Alan.....I agree with rhe jist of your point. It's along the lines of people self certifying in Arizona that they have accute pain to get Arizona MMJ cards. The way the law was written this loophole exists and is indeed taken advantage of. Rob
    Should be acute pain and the jist of your point above. Rob

Yppej
    I hear that in Italy you self-certify you are going to the grocery store and write out your own permission slip.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I hear that in Italy you self-certify you are going to the grocery store and write out your own permission slip.
    This, at least to me, begs the question of how many of the young who still believe they are invicible take advantage of this and end out putting themselves and others in danger. Rob

Catherine, you should keep the money to help any of your kids that aren’t employed.

I'm really interested to see how the stimulus bill plays out in real life. Per what I've read online, unemployment has been extended from 26 to 39 weeks, plus there will be an extra $600 a week for the first 4 months.

I just got laid off yesterday after 13.5 years at the same company, if you hadn't read that otherwise.

The $1200 will be welcome, too!

At this point unemployment is a true UBI/BIG, no matter what they are calling it. At that amount, IT IS.

No, $1000 a month is not a UBI (I don't know why Yang was so hung up on such tiny numbers if he was going to give away money, go BIG with the B.I.G. or go home, though it still would have helped the destitute). You can't live off $1000 or off what unemployment usually pays, but this yes I believe one can. Of course as a UBI it's only 4 months of the increased payments, and things are collapsing around us. So there is that.

I took out $1000 a month to supplement unemployment when it paid the usual amount, and no I bought nothing except I continued to go to the gym and eat healthy, and you can't even go to the gym now.
    Trees don't grow on money

1:30 pm EDT: It passed, despite Rep. Massie's request for quorum, because the house got its act together and got enough people back to provide a vote on the floor. Thank you to our congresspeople who made it back in time.

That extra money for PBS will make all the difference.

Thread Information