Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stimulus package

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    The legislation would include a one-time $1,200 check that would be sent to most adults making $75,000 or less annually (I can only assume this is some kind of complex adjusted gross income calculation?). A $500 payment would also be sent to cover every child in qualifying households. It now includes the majority of adults who are under the $75,000 threshold and phases the payment out as people’s incomes increase.
    https://www.vox.com/2020/3/25/211927...virus-stimulus
    if they go by 2018 income, I’m OK. 2019 won’t work, I took a little to much out of a IRA. I can make 2020 work. I’m probably not going to get much if any free money.

I’ve already sent in my 2019 taxes, I guess I could put back some of the IRA money and get under the limit. I usually don’t send in my taxes early, I always owe, but with moving my wife was wanting me to get it done.

As far as I can tell this hasn't passed yet? 12:05 p.m. Majority Leader McConnell spoke on the agreement on the third Coronavirus supplemental. He then achieved unanimous consent that the cloture vote on the motion to proceed to H.R. 748 occur “at a time to be determined today.”

So if I understand it right, they're going to agree on what time they will do a vote for cloture, and then have a vote for cloture which, if it passes, will allow them to continue considering the bill? This scenario doesn't even get to the point of having a vote for the actual bill, in fact it doesn't even get to the point of voting to consider it?

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we have now agreed that at some point in the future we will agree to have a vote about whether or not we agree to proceed with considering whether to have a vote."

Yppej
    Some Republicans wanted to reword it since as written some people could make more collecting unemployment than working.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Some Republicans wanted to reword it since as written some people could make more collecting unemployment than working.
    Do you understand what's currently going on? Every time I tune into the live senate floor coverage there's just another senator standing up reiterating their own story to a mostly empty room, like they were at an unpopular 12-step meeting. Where is the actual negotiating happening, and between whom??

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I think it was more a concern that as worded the legislation would incentivize people not to return to work when their workplaces are allowed to re-open.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Assuming everyone gets some sort of bonus check, I'm debating how greedy I will get. I'm pretty lucky to have fewer life complications than most and don't spend much what with the stay at home measures. A thousand or so dollars is not going to make any big difference in my life and I'm considering donations to the food banks or meals on wheels. Something I'm thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Assuming everyone gets some sort of bonus check, I'm debating how greedy I will get. I'm pretty lucky to have fewer life complications than most and don't spend much what with the stay at home measures. A thousand or so dollars is not going to make any big difference in my life and I'm considering donations to the food banks or meals on wheels. Something I'm thinking about.
    I was thinking about that, too... the package is meant to offset losses incurred by individuals and businesses. I'm lucky in that my business is not impacted, so why not give my share to someone or something that's really hurting?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

No matter how much unemployment is if you get called back to work and don’t go you lose your unemployment.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    No matter how much unemployment is if you get called back to work and don’t go you lose your unemployment.
    Not according to the language in the bill, it allows you to 'self certify' that you quit your job because of Covid-19 and still receive benefits.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Should people be incentivized to return to work? Not if it's going to kill people. We mostly need to trust the states and localities to do the right thing (as the Trump admin is incapable of doing the right thing), and keep people on lock down as long as necessary. Thing is some maybe won't and we'll see more deaths there.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information