Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought it couldn't get much worse..........

I thought it couldn't get much worse..........

With my bad feet, knees, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, TMJ, peripheral neuropathy, etc., I was struggling. Recently I saw my regular doc, and my TMJ doc, and then my GYN doc to rule out some of the problems. I found a new rheumatologist and made an appointment for this Thursday (which has been cancelled). About 6 weeks ago, my upper left thigh started aching. I sort of ignored it, because both thighs have ached off and on for many years. Finally, the left one got so bad, I went to my regular doc. He always goes to "It's just your fibro" spiel. He did very reluctantly order me a small supply of Tramadol (opioid). The first couple of weeks, I took one every other day and it worked very well. Then it stopped working much. My doc seemed pretty frustrated with me. The thigh pain overwhelmed me and I went to the ER. They did a CT scan and nothing showed, as did my labs. I guess him seeing that I went to the ER made him think a little harder, and he ordered more Tramadol and also a Medrol dose pak (steroids). They began to help a bit.

Fortunately, my DH is a doc and ordered a couple back MRIs. I have a herniated lumbar disc that is pushing on a nerve root that goes all down my left side. Pain has been a huge challenge, even with the steroids. But to have this in the middle of this Covid19 disaster is almost too much to bear. I called a back surgeon whose PA I had seen last year for a different back problem. Then are not even making any appointments for 2 weeks.

This is so frightening to me.......to have so much pain, and no one can help. I'll do a search of what kind of exercises to do, but it's a bit worrisome to do exercises on my own, since I could make it worse.
    Damn.....my back has always been the only thing that didn't hurt. Now this, at the worst possible time in this country/world.

Any suggestions? I use a heating pad a lot. It's comfortable but doesn't help the pain that much. I use pain cream and patches.
    It's just so weird that my thigh hurts much more than my back. And the tingling is everywhere.
    Maybe I just need to be more pushy with the back surgeon's office (it's a big place), but I know everyone is in a similar, horrible situation.

Any suggestions for pain for a ruptured disc with nerve impingement? And this is all happening with my DH trying to keep his small medical business afloat. This is a nightmare..........
    I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Yes, try Minagin from Herbal Lodge:

https://herballodge.com/search?type=...=minagin+nerve

There is regular Minagin and Minagin nerve. I think Minagin nerve might be new?

When I had back spasms and in the ER and they prescribed opioids, I found the opioids didn't really manage the pain. The regular Minagin was the first thing I found that actually brought pain relief.

I am so sorry you are going through this right now!! Another suggestion is going to bed and watching hours of comedy shows. It really helps.

I have not tried the Minagin nerve but given your circumstances, I would go for that one, or try them both.

I just reordered both now because I like to have Minagin on hand. He says shipment date of April 7, which is not very fast for you, I am sorry. He tends to take a long time to ship but it is totally worth it.

I've thought about what might happen to someone who really needed medical care right now. This whole situation is insomnia-inducing. And getting worse due to piss-poor leadership.

I hope you find a solution.

My husband had a very painful knee and back issue last year and the doctor prescribed medical marijuana--it has helped tremendously. Not sure if it's available in your state, but you might want to check it out... seriously. I've never been into weed for recreation, but I've see a huge benefit in my DH's case and fully support its use for medical purposes and legalization for any use (medical or recreation).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

CathyA, I'm sorry this is coming on top of so many other things.

Does your medical coverage permit some kind of telemedicine? Have you considered a physical therapist? I had a lingering back problem dating to mid-November; when it wasn't better by mid-January I went to my GP, who diagnosed it as a muscular issue (that is, not a vertabral or disc issue). But she referred me to a PT, who has done wonders for me. Perhaps a consult with a PT might show you how to try to at least work around the pain or reduce the pain you're experiencing. The other suggestions are good, too; not implying that you should not try them. You should not have to go through your GP for a referral; in fact, maybe DH can write for whatever referral you might need.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Everyone else has better suggestions than I. I am sorry you are dealing with this on top of everything else. Hugs and prayers going out to you.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

You do need to do back exercises.

80% of ruptured discs will resolve in 6 months. Hubster blew L3-4 years ago. I took him to my favorite Neurosurgeon and this was his advice. (Thank God for surgeons who aren't knife happy).

So the back exercises: Hit YouTube

Yoga: the cat/cow stretch

Lie on your back. Bring your knees up to a 90/90. Now very slowly, take your knees toward the floor at your sides, slowly stretching. Hold for 15 seconds. Then go back up. Repeat in the other direction.

Hubster did these religiously and in fact, his disc issue did resolve and the L3-4 dermatome is pain free. He has continued to do these exercises most days for the decade plus since then.

So sorry to hear this!

I've thought about what might happen to someone who really needed medical care right now.
    I guess optional doctor visits are up in the air now. Noting that the bump on my arm that was to be scanned is getting more painful. But it's not an emergency yet so I am trying not to think about it. In my experience, a lot of these health things eventually resolve on their own. I had severe knee pain for a year, did the exercises faithfully and it slowly disappeared. Glad I didn't get surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I guess optional doctor visits are up in the air now. Noting that the bump on my arm that was to be scanned is getting more painful. But it's not an emergency yet so I am trying not to think about it. In my experience, a lot of these health things eventually resolve on their own. I had severe knee pain for a year, did the exercises faithfully and it slowly disappeared. Glad I didn't get surgery.
    In my experience, most issues do resolve themselves, for which I am hugely grateful.

Thread Information