Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mask update and local guidelines

I am getting a nice fabric cover sewn up by a neighbor to *protect* the N95 mask when using it in circumstances that might damage it, to reduce the number I need to use.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    My quilt group is working with local health facilities to make large mask covers with ties at their request to cover n95 masks. We have several patterns they have requested. We delivered 25 (left a large plastic bag outside the facility that someone picked up with gloves and put directly into hot water wash) several days ago and are planning on sending 40 tomorrow.
    At one local nursing home for instance, they are being used by support personnel that don’t have direct patient contact to prevent them from touching their faces.

Now some of our members children who are nurses nurses have requested them once they saw what we were making. Incidentally, one requested we do bright on the outside, dark on the inside so they could tell which way was out. If they had to take the cover off they could easily see which side was previously out.

Unfortunately many people are very very critical of this effort and a huge debate is raging in the online quilting community, but the reality is in many situations covering the mask will allow it to be used longer. We are only making them on request to meet the exact need of the requesting facility.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    My quilt group is working with local health facilities to make large mask covers with ties at their request to cover n95 masks. We have several patterns they have requested. We delivered 25 (left a large plastic bag outside the facility that someone picked up with gloves and put directly into hot water wash) several days ago and are planning on sending 40 tomorrow.
    At one local nursing home for instance, they are being used by support personnel that don’t have direct patient contact to prevent them from touching their faces.

Now some of our members children who are nurses nurses have requested them once they saw what we were making. Incidentally, one requested we do bright on the outside, dark on the inside so they could tell which way was out. If they had to take the cover off they could easily see which side was previously out.

Unfortunately many people are very very critical of this effort and a huge debate is raging in the online quilting community, but the reality is in many situations covering the mask will allow it to be used longer. We are only making them on request to meet the exact need of the requesting facility.
    This makes sense, especially the bright on outside, dark on inside--that is really smart.

My hospital is now using an auditorium as a mask sewing instruction area. I’m not sure what our intended use will be for these masks. I’m too busy to see anything but the headlines outside of my department.

An ER doctor provides mask instructions:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6d3...5xtkxiCZRJ9_oo

Note that he recommends vacuum filter material.

Elastic is hard to find, but some genius disemboweled a bungee cord, and voila'.

bungee.jpg

A friend of mine is a NICU nurse. Her hospital has apparently requested the fabric masks as covers for the N95 masks.

Thread Information