Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mask update and local guidelines

Mask update and local guidelines

I just got an email from my quilt shop that they had been declared an essential industry and reopened so that people could buy material to make face masks.

The hospital here put out a call for facemasks and gave a sheet with directions on how to make them:

https://www.munsonhealthcare.org/med...sk-Pattern.pdf

Obviously, your local hospital may have different requirements or needs, but ours is putting out the word that they want homemade masks.

Thanks!

Just went to see a "friend" who said she had N95 masks for me. Yeah right.... dust masks. WTH... I am tired of being disappointed in people. I traded her a few things. She definitely made out. Wish I was an introvert and would not continually be bummed out by people. At this age, you would think I would learn.

I really don't get it about the masks. I've done plenty of woodworking and garden digging. A mask that's not airtight just means the dirty air goes in around the sides. In addition, I thought masks were supposed to be washed or destroyed after 4 hours. What exactly is the hospital going to do with all these not-at-all-sterile cloth masks, other than make people feel helpful? And why not just wear a long bandana tucked into your shirt rather than go to this elaborate process of sewing something equally "breathable"?

My cousins are making masks for their local hospital, that has also requested them. essentially, the homemade masks are covers for the N95, so hopefully 1 N95 will last a whole shift, then they will be all be thrown away.

I am refusing to work without proper protective gear, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I just got an email from my quilt shop that they had been declared an essential industry and reopened so that people could buy material to make face masks.

The hospital here put out a call for facemasks and gave a sheet with directions on how to make them:

https://www.munsonhealthcare.org/med...sk-Pattern.pdf

Obviously, your local hospital may have different requirements or needs, but ours is putting out the word that they want homemade masks.

Thanks!
    Quilt shops don't have water repellent fabric. that is a requirement of this pattern. So this makes no sense!

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I really don't get it about the masks. I've done plenty of woodworking and garden digging. A mask that's not airtight just means the dirty air goes in around the sides. In addition, I thought masks were supposed to be washed or destroyed after 4 hours. What exactly is the hospital going to do with all these not-at-all-sterile cloth masks, other than make people feel helpful? And why not just wear a long bandana tucked into your shirt rather than go to this elaborate process of sewing something equally "breathable"?
    Education:
    Face masks are never sterile. The only mask with a seal is a N95.

These cloth masks fit just like the standard level 1,2,3 masks. The fabric being used is a much tighter weave/thicker quality than a bandana. And much better than the cloth masks I wore in surgery at the beginning of my career!

YES! Every healthcare worker should have proper masks. These are a last ditch covering for the face because honestly, most healthcare providers are not going to walk out. Some providers are wearing cloth masks over their N95 to keep them from becoming soiled.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I am refusing to work without proper protective gear, sorry.
    You have every right! I'm on an RN forum and they are very much struggling with this very issue.

I've heard of nurses getting fired for refusing to work without proper PPE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I've heard of nurses getting fired for refusing to work without proper PPE.
    Yes. These are scary times. We are Nurses because above all, we want to care for patients and help them get well, or be there 100% to make them comfortable as they die. We are not good about putting ourselves first. Our employers know this.

I don't know what's going to happen. This is really just beginning in the USA. We have a very long way to go and no mandate from the Pres to manufacture.

Nike made the decision to manufacture face shields.

A company in southern Nevada is manufacturing masks.

These are voluntary contributions to the healthcare community. But I suppose Trump will take credit.

There are sooooo many companies that could be retooled and cranking out 10s of 1000s daily. But......

If I had to estimate how many masks I used in a normal day (like 11 hours), I'd say 20-25. There are (were) strict rules around how to use, when to use, when to remove, which to use for what process. All standards are OUT THE WINDOW! This is frustrating more than anything. No support from Admins in many locations.

Thread Information