Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will vegetable plants be available this spring/summer?

Will vegetable plants be available this spring/summer?

I've been buying some seeds to start myself in case there will be a poor supply of vegetable plants this spring. Problem is, I'll need to start them far ahead of knowing if there will be any plants available. At this point in time, growing my own will be sort of a hassle. Any predictions on whether there will be a shortage of vegetable plants to buy this spring/summer?

As they say....Life is what happens while we're making plans.....

That's a good question, Cathy. I've wondered the same thing about ornamental plants. I feel bad for our little local garden center, which came under new ownership last summer. I know that spring is when these folks make their money, so what a difficult time to be a new owner. I hope they survive.

The local greenhouses around here have been propagating seeds and cuttings and using extended lighting as usual to ensure that seedlings will be available as usual. Not to worry, IMO.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thanks rosarugosa and razz. That's a good thought......there's a big nursery in another town about 35 miles from here and they grow their own, so they're probably doing that now. Whereas the places that order stuff from, like, Bonnie's plants, etc., might have a more difficult time. It's good that we're not just going into winter now, and can at least grow some veggies this summer, if the economy continues to spiral down. Victory gardens return! (or.....Virus gardens).

I don't know why there wouldn't be. I'm sure things were started long before COVID-19. BUT our local nurseries have been closed as of this week. (WA State) I was just thinking of running over to get some barkdust when Inslee locked us down.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I tried to buy some seeds online yesterday and their website said they were overwhelmed and understaffed so add 10 extra days to delivery time.

Yppej
    I've been wondering the same thing. I figure if hardware stores stay open I can get some at Home Depot or Lowes.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Once the Coronavirus started in China I made a list of what to do to prepare if it spread. Seeds were on the list and I got mine at a local hardware store. I’m n Zone 3 so I have tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, green beans, beets and lettuce growing. I got more seed varieties than what I usually get. I’m close to tomatoes and zucchini.

I would not hesitate to support a local store and pick up some seeds. I used to save heirloom seeds but I got lazy. Time to start again.

Another cool thing about romaine lettuce is use can grow it from packaged lettuce

https://dengarden.com/gardening/Grow...-from-Cuttings

it works!

The local insane gardening community are busily producing starts on a large scale, as folks seem to be quite interested in Victory Gardens.

My CSA also does a plant sale out at the farm. This year, it is an online purchase and a curbside pickup-stay in your car. They are offering mixes of variety. IE: 6 heirloom variety tomato.

So we can't select exactly what we want, BUT we can still get their high quality plants. I'm so proud of them!!!!

Thread Information