Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite kale?

What's your favorite kale?

Before I realized how good it was for humans to eat, I used to grow curly kale for my chickens. I grew the kind for us last year that isn't curly, and it sure got eaten up by bugs. The curly kale in the past never seemed to have holes.

What's your take on kale? What kind do you like to grow? I have a good recipe for Kale stew........onions, garlic, vegetable stock (or chicken), tomatoes, potatoes, LOTS of kale, carrots, northern beans, celery, rosemary and time, S&P and then you serve it over a thick toasted piece of bread.

I like the rainbow kale. It's so pretty as it decomposes in my refrigerator.

My take on kale is I prefer collards.

But kale is okay, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I like the rainbow kale. It's so pretty as it decomposes in my refrigerator.
    lol. I like lacinato kale. The local food co-op billed it as "dinosaur kale" to entice the kiddoes. I tried it anyway. I like it -- milder than the usual green kale. On the other hand, the "usual" kale makes great chips and makes a surprisingly good salad green if you rub it with some kosher (or pickling) salt.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I agree, collards are delicious. Lacinato kale is far and away my favorite for salads; I don't find much difference in the varieties when cooked. I've had the best garden success with the red Russian variety. A little-known green that is delicious is kai lan, sometimes spelled gai lan and also known as Chinese kale or Chinese broccoli. I was happy to find some seeds for this and planted the first batch yesterday.

I won a seed starting package at a garden show. One of the seed packets was heirloom Russian red kale. It has sprouted so I am anxious to try as it is supposed to be sweeter.

Thanks everyone. I grew the lacinato last year, but the bugs loved it way too much. Seems like they don't like the curly kale that much.
    Maybe I should try some collards. Don't think I've ever had them.
    LOL Jane.....that's funny!
    Speaking of colors........I do like the bright lights Swiss chard too.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Maybe I should try some collards. Don't think I've ever had them.
    Bugs like that, too. Maybe not as much as lacinato but the collards I grew a few years ago were pockmarked with bug nibbles. My neighbor has had more success growing it -- or maybe he's just better at culling out the eaten leaves from the ones he gives me.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Bugs like that, too. Maybe not as much as lacinato but the collards I grew a few years ago were pockmarked with bug nibbles. My neighbor has had more success growing it -- or maybe he's just better at culling out the eaten leaves from the ones he gives me.
    Yeah....he gives you the rejects. haha Maybe I never noticed holes in the curly stuff when I grew it for the chickens, 'cause they like bugs too....

I guess the thing with the curly kale is you find webs in all those little hiding places. Oh well......maybe by the time the kale matures in a few months, the virus will be so bad that we will welcome the protein from the bugs?? (If we can keep from gagging while eating them).

Thread Information