Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cuomo for President?

Quote Originally Posted by kappydell View Post
    I liked him until he started doing his daily briefings. Then I noticed all he does is whine about the Feds. Apparently his big plan for any disaster is to go to the Feds and make demands. Not much leadership there - I cant stand watching him any more.
    Of course there is the fact that the feds are being openly hostile to the blue states such as NY. But yeah, Newsome has done a better job. And figured out that it really only takes a really small amount of groveling to satisfy the turd in the white house.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Of course there is the fact that the feds are being openly hostile to the blue states such as NY. But yeah, Newsome has done a better job. And figured out that it really only takes a really small amount of groveling to satisfy the turd in the white house.
    Newsom's been awesome, though I imagine some Californians won't be too happy about him sending 500 ventilators to NY. Our county is offering $1000 rewards for ventilators; don't know what that's about. If Newsom can keep Southern California from exploding with deaths, I can definitely see him being a strong presidential candidate in the future. San Francisco, Newsom's hometown, has fared extremely well during this outbreak. My crush on him continues to grow.

I saw on our data dashboard that ICU beds are the real issue, as covid-19 patients typically have to be in them for 2 weeks, versus the standard 2-3 days. It will be interesting to see the post examination to see what worked best in how everyone approached this problem around the world.

The thing is that just because someone is good at handling a crisis doesn't mean they necessarily have good policy overall. And well I vote policy pretty much always. I'm definitely not impressed with Cuomo on policy, Newsom is not so well established, he's pretty new. But the coronavirus, Newsom has been handling it well, lots of Californians lives will be saved if it all works out.

I think it's an incorrect reading to attribute everything that goes on in southern CA entirely to Newsom though. The whole Los Angeles county has it's own stay at home order. Newsom closed bars restaurants etc. but the reason people are working from home is local laws.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I really am impressed with state and local authorities stepping up though. Because I thought it was every man for themselves given a complete vacuum of leadership in D.C. (yes that includes congress although nothing could ever beat the white house in chaos). Given we don't (still don't) have guaranteed paid sick time or a culture of taking it when sick (although with asymptomatic transmission that only slows it), nor guaranteed nor affordable medical care, given that at least locally we have a massive homeless population that seems a vector if ever there was one (they have types of hepatitis unique to them at this point), nor enough testing (still don't), nor many hospital beds (nor it turns out although this wasn't as obvious early, enough ventilators or PPE or sedatives etc. etc.).

I was like "oh boy all one can do is wash their hands obsessively, wait to die and hope that fate spares them, beg sick coworkers to stay home for once in their entire lives even if they think coming to work sick makes them a model employee, and beg until one is out of breath begging for the most vulnerable family members and friends to stay home even if it means shopping for them at one's own risk etc. etc.".

Well that's still somewhat the situation OF COURSE. However, the local authorities stepped up like heroes and just shut everything down, so many aren't going to work, there are no restaurants to beg the 70 and 80 year olds to stay away from etc. etc..

Latest advice from local authorities is: DON'T GROCERY SHOP THIS WEEK. Oh the Trump administration also said that, yea I don't listen to them on pretty much anything at this point, sure a stopped clock but who cares, but I listen to local authorities as they aren't insane. Now they aren't trying to enforce that absolutely (you really can't unless the local government is willing and able to just deliver food to people because instacart is clearly not up to the task on that scale and honestly the government probably isn't this second either, it's not something that instantly scales) but that's the latest recommendation if one can. I bought a lot of groceries last week, I'm good I think
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Thread Information