Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuomo for President?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I'm not fond of Arizona's unfortunate Republican Governor Doug Ducey. He is striking me as AMLO (Lopez Obrador, President of Mexico) like in his seeming denial and minimization of the virus threat to Arizona's people. I'd love to have Coumo (sp?) here as Governor - the time has come to value human life over money and Doug Ducey? Money for the win.....typical Republican, with the value of human life trailing far behind. How does one even begin to forgive this mentality putting the 85006 and the entire state of Arizona at risk?

Stay healthy, everyone. Those more fortunate - I'm including myself here - might want to buy a few cans of soup or chili for less fortunate neighbors.....just an idea. Small acts of kindness make a bigger impact in times like these. Rob

Yppej
    Cuomo would be better than Biden, not least because his cognitive skills, needed in a crisis, are better.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I've heard rumblings on social media that could be interpreted as "move over Joe Biden, Andrew Cuomo is in town."
    ………
    ………
    Should Biden be scared?
    I think he should, cable news gives Cuomo an hour or so of face time each day just as they did Trump before the last election and once his time is up they spend lots of time talking about what he has to say. Biden has been relegated to giving 5 min 'shadow briefings' and hasn't gotten through one yet without mishap.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I think What Cuomo has working for him is his seriousness combined with his empathy. He consistently tells anecdotes that average people can relate to. About how hard it is to be cooped up, especially for apartment dwellers, family stories, and his thankfulness for New Yorkers who follow the guidelines. He sends a message we are trying as hard as we can to save lives, please help us.

i honestly don’t think our current president and many (but not all) senators and congresspeople have any idea what it is like for the common people. People who are laid off, people who do not have the ability to be tested even with symptoms, people who are terrified to become homeless or without medical insurance, and of course their loved ones who are sick right now. Every one of the thousands who have died have parents, children, siblings and so on who have broken hearts. Some sympathy and understanding is in order. Telling the public you have instructed the task force not to work with that Michigan woman and Inslee because they haven’t been nice enough to you was perhaps the most shocking thing I have ever heard. I’m not saying past presidents have always been fair, but to admit you are an accessory to death took my breath away. And we hear nothing from those in power to stop it.

by the way, anyone hear Rush Limbaugh’s take on questioning if the doctors on the task force are really doctors? They just might be people in white lab coats. Every day people listen to the undermining of our respected medical and government officials which adds to the fright and can ultimately kill people if they don’t take it seriously enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think he should, cable news gives Cuomo an hour or so of face time each day just as they did Trump before the last election and once his time is up they spend lots of time talking about what he has to say. Biden has been relegated to giving 5 min 'shadow briefings' and hasn't gotten through one yet without mishap.
    well its getting down to the wire. These people had better get hopping to get a new candidate on board.

"Telling the public you have instructed the task force not to work with that Michigan woman and Inslee because they haven’t been nice enough to you was perhaps the most shocking thing I have ever heard."

That was my take on it, though I shouldn't be surprised by anything--no matter how callous--Trump says. All of us in Washington can just die gasping for air, as far as he's concerned, just because Governor Inslee won't grovel before him like most of his task force members (Dr. Birx, I'm looking at you).

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    well its getting down to the wire. These people had better get hopping to get a new candidate on board.
    I think they're working on it, Biden now has a new 'Me Too' accusation from a former campaign worker although the media and Democrats in general seem to be ignoring it. Maybe after they get bored of eviscerating Republicans for the response to this virus thing.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I'm revising my opinion of Cuomo dramatically upward after just watching about half an hour of his daily press briefing. (Not that it was necessarily low before--I didn't really have an opinion of him, and as I said, I don't view calling someone competent an insult.)

But wow, what a contrast with you-know-who. Just no-nonsense, straightforward command of the facts. Cautious optimism without Pollyanna BS. Stressing that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

From what I've seen, I think most governors are probably doing similarly good jobs. But I'd advise anyone looking for a morale boost to avoid Trump's press briefings completely and tune into Cuomo's instead.

Geila
    For Cuomo fans, what is it that makes him seem like a good presidential candidate? He took an awfully long time to address the virus in his state, from where I'm at. I mean, he's loud, like a good New Yorker should be. But I have't seen the proactiveness, although that could be because I'm at the other end of the country.

California Gov. Newsom was the first to issue statewide shelter in place orders and to close down schools. Bay Area leadership has been great; first area in the country to shut down schools, ban large gatherings, and issue shelter in place orders; even before Gov. Newsom issued them statewide. I hope that early action makes a difference, which it seems to be doing, as our death poll is not jumping as rapidly as other states and heavily infected areas. The Bay Area is the epicenter for California.

SF Mayor Breed and SJ Mayor Licardo have announced eviction bans and other protective measures for residents and small businesses. And Gov. Newsom has announced 90-day forbearance from major banks and credit unions, as well as publicly calling out Bank of America for failing to commit to the forbearance. He's cold called major business leaders to procure necessary supplies; ventilators, masks, etc. That's the kind of leadership and initiative that I would be looking for. Plus, Newsom is very cute! Overall, I'm very pleased with our local and state leadership.

I'm pretty much satisfied by leadership on the West Coast, though Oregon's Kate Brown waffled before she finally issued a stay home directive. Certainly Newsome and Inslee have been working non-stop in our behalf.

Thread Information