Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unintended Downside to Stimulus Checks?

Yppej
    Those unemployed who can make more than when they were working and not have to face the health risks are big winners already. There are people at my job who have underlying health conditions and wish they did not have to come to work, would even be willing to go out on unpaid leave, but they are not being allowed to. If I get something I don't need trust me I will be paying for it in Federal taxes for years to come. It"s not like I'm Amazon making a killing as people can't go to stores now and paying nothing in taxes. GE is also doing well with medical manufacture and not paying any taxes. I miss Sanders, Warren and Yang who would all have made profitable megacorporations pay their fair share.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it's silly that my wife and I will likely be receiving money for this. We'll accept whatever we get and eventually spend it but the rationale for giving it to us doesn't add up.
    The rationale is : panic! Do something! pork!

There is no rationality in one size fits all solutions, which is not to say that many many people don’t need this.

As any good Bernie fan will tell you: for decades you paid into the system now the system is kicking back to you. Or something like that.

I’m donating mine to Bulldog Rescue and I hope to convince DH to do the same. Our rescue group lost a big fundraiser scheduled for Easter weekend. I don’t know how soon that money will get into the economy since it goes to vet bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I miss Sanders, Warren and Yang who would all have made profitable megacorporations pay their fair share.
    Their fair share. Now there’s a term to conjure with.

Makes for such stirring rhetoric with so little practical meaning. Implies such royal power for the chief executive without troubling to consider a constitution built around curtailing royal power. Promises to punish the wicked and reward the faithful.

We could individually choose to give our check to someone we know who is unemployed.

Well, slightly different perspective here. My grandson was working for one of the big home improvement stores, specifically interacting with contractors, got laid off because new construction is at a standstill. Got a couple of weeks of unemployment, then got a job at Sprouts. His reasoning- Get a Job quickly in one of the essential services. Now, since he works 32 hours/week, considered full time but paid hourly, people not working at all will have more weekly income on unemployment than he does for the next four months! He is not happy, at all. “So not fair. A guy who works to support his family (girlfriend and 8 mo old son) gets less than a guy sitting on his couch playing video games all day.”

He intends to use his stimulus check to pay off his car loan. That’s the only debt they have. Girl friend works a low pay job, but it provides healthcare coverage, and covers food and diapers. Grandparents cover child care. So his check will cover housing costs and some food, gasoline and car insurance. They will be ok. But the “not fair” part still stings.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Their fair share. Now there’s a term to conjure with.

Makes for such stirring rhetoric with so little practical meaning. Implies such royal power for the chief executive without troubling to consider a constitution built around curtailing royal power. Promises to punish the wicked and reward the faithful.
    What do you mean? It's only restructuring the tax code which is probably done every election cycle. We all pay taxes. Rejiggering the tax rate to reflect our needs and our values is not a rebellion of the masses.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    What do you mean? It's only restructuring the tax code which is probably done every election cycle. We all pay taxes. Rejiggering the tax rate to reflect our needs and our values is not a rebellion of the masses.
    Whose needs? Whose values? Is it the President’s role to determine and enforce “fairness”, or should that be left to the legislative process? Why do we freight one office as our arbitrator of values?

I don't think the unemployed are lucky, the flip side to this is compared to people working at work (not at home) they are less at risk of the virus and for high risk people this might be better, yea the 70 year old with a lung condition IS probably better off on unemployment.

But for younger healthier people, yea there is a lot of things that slip people's minds when they say that. Unemployment is not a leave of absence (except if it is and one's job is guaranteed to come back and then awesome, but for many it's not) So like ok your unemployed, you can live off unemployment and it pays well for 4 months. But 4 months goes by, some people easily get new jobs, good for them. But some don't. AND THEN WHAT?

You are fricken unemployed in a fricken great depression. And this is what anyone in their right mind would call lucky? Things could change, but is anyone blind to where this is all likely leading? Your alive, and alive is GOOD, but alive under what conditions? One can assume wonderful economic conditions in 4 months or 6 months or whatever when they decide it's better to go back to work (or whatever we image "lucky" people collecting unemployment are thinking) but what basis do we have to really think so? I mean people without jobs now, I think some of them are going to be without jobs for a long time, 4 months "vacation" looks nice doesn't it, does years of it?

If we were capable of doing like Denmark does, this might be ok. I'm not arguing pushing people to work and die in an epidemic ala Trump and Fox news, which they are going to try to do maybe, and it will KILL thousands at least, they will have murder on their hands by then. I'm saying from an INDIVIDUAL (not public policy) perspective in a country with ordinarily pretty much NO safety net (never mind 4 months of very generous unemployment), what it's like.

We could individually choose to give our check to someone we know who is unemployed.
    I refuse to do what is the governments job for them, correctly allocate public spending. That's the government job and I'm not going to take it on myself, it's not my job.
    Trees don't grow on money

APN, of course you should keep yours in case you get laid off. People like Alan that don’t need it can give it to a family member or friend that needs it or give it to a worthy cause like IL. We will save ours in case our kids need it.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Whose needs? Whose values? Is it the President’s role to determine and enforce “fairness”, or should that be left to the legislative process? Why do we freight one office as our arbitrator of values?
    Yes, it's the legislative body to determine how we pay for what's important to us. Hopefully they make decisions based on the desires of their constituencies.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information