Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unintended Downside to Stimulus Checks?

It's a legitimate concern for some, I can't even get my elderly mom to stop being obsessed with buying plants she is unlikely to even plant lately. People are bored, what can I say.

But if one is going to binge shop, why not do so online? Still feel bad for the warehouse workers working through this and maybe working sick (would feel MUCH better if we had widely applied sick time!), and so have not ordered a ton myself (yea I've ordered some things online), but clearly it's safer from one's own personal point of view.

I think many people, I know I did, probably spent a few hundred in stocking up for this thing already so it may approach break even at some point and that wasn't even a ton of stock up, didn't know the collapse would be so complete, if only I had closets full of TP! I also bought a desk from Ikea that will be shipped that may or may not make working from home smoother, shrug. I'm using a table now, maybe it doesn't matter, I thought the ergonomics were bad, but only some minor arm and hand pain which I'd probably have regardless. Maybe buy faster internet for work from home. Well hello corona driven purchases! But that exact check, maybe half into the bank, half into investments - wooh, riding the markets down baby!
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It's supposed to be an aid package to tide people over, not a stimulus package of money that no one needs, intended to spur retail therapy. .
    It is that and so much more. It is loans to businesses, large and small, to help them survive the downturn. It is spending to acquire more medical equipment, supplies and hospital capacity. It is patronage for various entities like the National Endowment for the Arts or public broadcasting or the Kennedy Center to ensure our political elite receives the proper level of approval at important cocktail parties. All of this will have a stimulating effect. If some deplorable in Tacoma wants to pick up a can of paint while he’s buying some canned beans and detergent at Home Depot, I don’t have a big problem with that.

I think Rosa was considering how one maintains physical distance in the spending. Would the spending increase the violations of physical distance issues thereby increasing contagion? Am I right, rosa?

If one does not need this money to cover expenses due to job loss, etc., one could always consider the food banks to help meet the large increase in demand including families and children right now, just saying...
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

No idea what we’ll do other than leave it in the bank for awhile. If family or friends need it to stay housed and fed maybe I’ll give it to them. My work will continue .... no question there.

Idle question: those of us already on the government dole, do we get money as well?

IL, originally you had to have at least 2500 in W2 income to get it but that was removed so you will get it.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I think Rosa was considering how one maintains physical distance in the spending. Would the spending increase the violations of physical distance issues thereby increasing contagion? Am I right, rosa?

If one does not need this money to cover expenses due to job loss, etc., one could always consider the food banks to help meet the large increase in demand including families and children right now, just saying...
    Razz: Yes, you read me correctly. I will do any spending or charitable giving electronically (already doing that as I'm sure are many others), but many don't operate that way. I know a lot of folks will be using the money to help make ends meet due to lost jobs and decreased income. I was thinking more of people on SSI or SSDI who barely scrape by. I think there will be a rush from some of those folks to run out and do some shopping.

I think it's silly that my wife and I will likely be receiving money for this. We'll accept whatever we get and eventually spend it but the rationale for giving it to us doesn't add up.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

If it was up to me it would all go to the unemployed, but it's not up to me, I'm not a Senator, or even a Senators son, so since a check may be coming to me, I will cash it. Write a congressperson on how the stimulus should be spent? Haha already did that a week or two ago. Got a form letter back
    Trees don't grow on money

Geila
    I was surprised the salary threshold was so high. $150k for a couple, $75k for single. But if the purpose is to alleviate panic and fear, then it seems money well spent. I do wish there was a special provision for workers who have to remain employed working with the public (grocery stores, delivery people, etc..) And something for healthcare workers who are the most exposed and working the hardest. The greater the risk, the greater the reward, in my opinion.

But hopefully money will flow from those who don't need it to those who have been sacrificing themselves to serve us. A friend does Instacart deliveries and he says his customers have been tipping very generously. I guess the responsibility will lie with individuals in how we spend the money.

Thread Information