Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nationwide lockdown?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Nationwide lockdown?

Yes or no? What's your take and why? Rob

Is it within the President’s power to impose one? Or just interstate travel/international travel?

Every governor should shutdown their state. The sooner we do this the sooner we will all get released.

If by nationwide lock down your thinking of an across the board stay at home and social distancing restrictions or recommendations, I think it should be a decision at the state level. My state is basically on lock down but we have several counties in rural and low population areas that have no or only one positive cases reported (so far). I think at some point soon those areas should be able to open up certain low traffic or low contact businesses that are now under the stay at home rules. I could see limiting certain interstate travel around hot spots.

At some point when all the restrictions are lifted, there's no guarantee the problem is going to disappear completely.

It's only so effective at a state level as state government can't entirely control the border to the state, so you can't prevent people from states that don't do lock down from traveling in.
    Trees don't grow on money

Sweden is taking a novel approach, somewhere between no change at all and draconian lockdown. It will be interesting to see how it works out for them.

What do you mean by "national lockdown"?

A good part of the country is already under stay-at-home orders.

Orders from the feds, not the state governors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Orders from the feds, not the state governors.
    The Feds can't even manage to get me N95 masks and protective gowns, I'm not sure they have the resources to implement a national-level "lockdown" without participation of the state governments. Perhaps some of those state governors will show proper appreciation and do well....

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The Feds can't even manage to get me N95 masks and protective gowns, I'm not sure they have the resources to implement a national-level "lockdown" without participation of the state governments. Perhaps some of those state governors will show proper appreciation and do well....
    I understand Florida got 200% of the federal monies they asked for. Some other state got 12.5%. We probably got "Don't call me, I'll call you." It seems like Trump is doling out his largesse as if relief funds were personal favors from a vengeful mob boss. Kinda like Puerto Rico--he can throw paper towels at the supplicants who haven't "earned" better.

Thread Information