Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: on the subject of masks

Yppej
    I sure hope the masks don't become mandatory in time for summer. People will get heat exhaustion. I get that every life is valuable, but I also see the concerns about totally disrupting life and plunging 99% of the world into a great depression for a virus with a 1% mortality rate. Utilitarianism anyone?

As of today our governor is saying all people should wear a non-medical mask when they leave the home. He referenced specifically grocery shopping. I assume this is just a strong recommendation rather than anything enforceable. although I certainly support it. He said it doesn't have to be anything fancy and that just cutting up an old t-shirt or using a scarf would be fine. I have been bicycling for mental and physical health but avoid the unusually busy walking paths and can mostly stay on bike lanes on the streets. There might be some clarification, but I have tried the cloth mask while cycling and it was less than optimal for comfort.

Masks give people a false sense of security. Unfortunately we have to fill our prescriptions at Walmart. My husband needed his medication so I went to pick it up. I stood a distance from the person in front of me. A young guy with a mask got between us. I had to tell him I was in line and to get back. I was really annoyed and he could probably tell by my voice and look on my face. They shutdown all the entrances but one which is stupid. We now have enough medication for 3 months and I told my husband he is grounded from that store)

I suppose that depends on the person. I consider masks another layer of protection--as I suppose medical personnel do.

Masks vs no masks.jpg

You may find this helpful when trying to decide about wearing masks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZtEX2-n2Hc
    It is followed by a video from a statistician and then by the simple no-sew mask directions.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We wore masks to the grocery store yesterday, and we both felt a little bit safer. We agreed that it made us way more aware at all times and removed the temptation to touch our faces.

There have been endless articles about "sterilizing" your groceries but it is my sense that wearing masks of any sort are for more beneficial than scrubbing your bananas. It seems like exposure to large amounts of the virus through breathing, talking, sneezing etc are far more apt to take than tiny amounts on grocery items and surfaces.

I've always thought masks were useful in times of contagion, but it's really moot in my case, as I have no plans to venture out in the public. I can go to the PO weekly or less, on weekends when only the lobby is open.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    There have been endless articles about "sterilizing" your groceries but it is my sense that wearing masks of any sort are for more beneficial than scrubbing your bananas. It seems like exposure to large amounts of the virus through breathing, talking, sneezing etc are far more apt to take than tiny amounts on grocery items and surfaces.
    Yeah, DH yelled at me today for buying deli meat from the deli as opposed to buying pre-packaged meat. We are using Lysol wipes to swipe the groceries brought in, but I'm doing it half-heartedly. I really don't think that groceries brought into the house pose a serious risk, but someone tell me I'm wrong. I have a good friend up here who is sterilizing her house twice a day. I'm thinking, that's quite obsessive.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I know people excessively cleaning and their groceries. We are not. Between the 2 of us we have only been in stores about 3x’s in the past 5 weeks.

Thread Information