Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 and loneliness

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I'm sorry you are in such a dark place right now, Tybee. Sending you virtual hugs and good wishes, with a funny Boston accent, from the east coast.
    Thank you, Rosa, you are very kind.

Yes itís nice to have my husband hand me a plate of food in the evening and hug me good by in the morning. But if I were alone then I wouldnít worry that Iím infecting him .... itís a toss up.

My comment about a sign had nothing to do with preventing crime. It had to do with explaining to ignorant friends and family why the door is locked and no one will be answering it.

My 80 something parents in rural Ohio had a middle aged single guy from their neighborhood call to say that he would be visiting. They said no. He argued. They argued. They won. But heís the type that would drive over and walk right in without knocking if they didnít lock their doors. And they often donít lock their doors. But now they do and theyíre making a sign so people arenít offended. Asking them to call instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Rosa, in general I think itís better not to be alone but today my DH is making me irritated). FaceTime sounds like a good idea. My son was out of sugar so I took him some of mine. We stood 8 feet apart and talked to each other outside. It was so good to see them.
    How are things going with your son? I assume he made it back to the US safely and is now just counting the days?

We have now reached 14 days since getting back from Hawaii without anyone getting sick. I was especially concerned about my 87 year old MIL. Now I can breathe easier knowing that we didnít kill her with her Christmas present.

Yes he is off quarantine from my son’s on Friday. Can’t wait for him to move in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yes, frugal-one, we are in our 60's and it has occurred to us that with food shortages, we may be murdered any day now. Or just beaten up and left to die? Since people seem to be turning on each other.

What is a stupid sign going to do to protect us?
    My thoughts don't normally go to this type of thing, but for some reason I was thinking yesterday about "if" things got this bad. I'm so sorry that this fear exists for you - and for anyone. We are also in our early 60's. I have no advice, but am sending out prayers and hugs.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Interesting, if not terribly helpful, article in this week's NY:

The History of Loneliness

Until a century or so ago, almost no one lived alone. Now many people endure shutdowns and lockdowns on their own. How did modern life get so lonely?

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    My thoughts don't normally go to this type of thing, but for some reason I was thinking yesterday about "if" things got this bad. I'm so sorry that this fear exists for you - and for anyone. We are also in our early 60's. I have no advice, but am sending out prayers and hugs.
    Sending them right back, and thank you so much. Like you say, it is that the fear exists for everyone, not just for us. That is what breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Yes he is off quarantine from my son’s on Friday. Can’t wait for him to move in.
    Hooray! That is such good news!

My grandson got to be with his father again--they are splitting lockdown now with him and he has him for two weeks.
    It is so good when loved ones can be together.

Thread Information