Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 and loneliness

I taught the people at our church to use Zoom. At first there was resistance but now they're holding all their usual meetings that way.
    I've been writing letters to contacts that I think might be lonely. Last week, I mailed one to an older acquaintance who has spoken of how dreadfully lonely she gets - long before the social distancing. She replied with a long, delighted email.
    I've been communicating more than usual with some of my long-distance friends... people have more time without all the hustle and bustle of normal routines. That is, everyone except the health care workers - I would like to know more how to support them.

In thinking about this, I remembered how lonely I felt when I was stuck at home with a sick child and no one to talk to. I wonder if social media has helped solve that situation? Much as one might love their little ones, if you are on your own day after day with no break, it can be lonely as well. One grandmother who is usually very involved in your grandchildren's lives talks to them outside when they bike by to visit.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

It is very hard on us with our MOW clients right now. We are not allowed to visit. The food is to be placed on the door and we are to step back and get a visual on them for the sake of a welfare check but no visiting. I have to try to connect with my clients on trauma calls by phone. Awkward without visuals and physical presence but better than nothing. In many cases the volunteers are having a much harder time than the clients.

I like the idea of "reaching out" however one is able in these times. I finally got a grocery pick-up scheduled and have added two elderly neighbors' needs onto my list. I think they were simply thrilled to get the phone call asking if they needed anything! Social distancing will be done for dropping off their items, but I think just being able to "see" someone - even from a distance - helps alleviate some of the loneliness. I hope so, anyway.

Edited to add: Doing this is actually giving ME some "motivation". I just haven't felt like doing anything the last day or so... like nothing matters. I know it is a degree of depression with all that is going on, so I'm working through it, as I know it will pass. I can't imagine adding intense loneliness to the depression, though. Prayers for everyone.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I think just being able to "see" someone - even from a distance - helps alleviate some of the loneliness. I hope so, anyway.
    I think it does. Catherine, I think this is the largest problem coming out of this whole situation, and I share your concern about the impact on people's health. I am glad you are able to continue doing MOW; you are doing something about the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    My sister is an RN in a Boston hospital. She lives alone. She made the decision to distance from me, DH and Mom now that there are some cases at her hospital, although we had previously decided that we were not going to distance from her. She is probably making the wiser choice, but I hate it that she works and comes home and is basically isolated. At least she has her 2 dogs. She is certainly not complaining, but it bothers me. I'm making sure to keep in close contact via phone at least.
    She's probably fine. I would be, in her situation. She has a phone and the Internet, and I'm sure sees more people than she wants to at work every day.

I was an only child for quite a few years, and I learned early to entertain myself, a habit which has proved invaluable. During this crisis, I am happy to be inside with sufficient food to last indefinitely, and I'm planning to convert to my credit union's bill pay system to cut down on trips to the PO. Basically, I'm the Bubble Girl.

My only fear is that some do-gooder will take heed of all those "check up on your elderly neighbors" PSAs and show up at my doorstep. I do recognize as I get older I need to get a better support system in place, since--as we all know--things happen.

Tips from a man who has 50 years of social distancing experience. I have been to Gothic a few times and when one wakes up to an awesome landscape it might take away some of the pain.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/01/82400...ing-experience

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Tips from a man who has 50 years of social distancing experience. I have been to Gothic a few times and when one wakes up to an awesome landscape it might take away some of the pain.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/01/82400...ing-experience
    Great article!! Great to get the perspective of a hermit. He has definitely figured out what works for him, and he has great advice.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I love this guy; he seems to have an outlook much like my own, though I prefer books to radio.

"Up until a week or two ago, I would listen to the news every morning so that I could start every day either totally depressed or furious. That's always a good way to start the day," he said. "Now with the whole COVID and with politics and stuff," he said he just can't anymore. So, he listens to old-time radio instead.

Thread Information