Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade surface disinfectant recipe for Covid 19

Homemade surface disinfectant recipe for Covid 19

After doing a search online, it is confusing. Trust vinegar, don't trust vinegar; use bleach but not just bleach; essential oils and lemon but they are not enough.

In my day-to-day activities, I am trying to be responsible and careful Buying commercial wipes and sprays is both expensive and they do not contain magic ingredients just premixed ordinary ingredients with stabilizers.

For simple livers like me:
    A bleach-based surface disinfectant is 1 qt water and 3-5 tablespoons bleach, mix and use with care - meaning not on fabrics which can be bleached/damaged -, wait for 3(?) minutes and wipe dry. Is this done after washing with plain dish soap and water mixture? Are both needed?

Soap and water clean my hands and occasionally I will use alcohol gels.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here so help me with a basic recipe and routine to follow please. I refuse to pay megabucks for premixed basic ingredients.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

This is a thread in which I wish Lessisbest was still around. I remember learning from her about bleach tablets, however, after I bought some, reading the label, I am unsure of what she did.
    (bleach tablets, do not contain chlorine, which is the disinfectant, so did she add pool chlorine?)

I am just using up whatever I have around, usually Mrs. Meyers

I did buy a small bottle of lysol pre-quarantine so I might add a little bit of that to water and use that. I think a little goes a long way--it was the same product in use in the 30's, and I always think of that 1928 poem by Malcolm Cowley, "For St. Bartholomews Day" about the death of Sacco and Vanzetti, and then I usually say to hell with it and go back to the Mrs. Meyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I am just using up whatever I have around, usually Mrs. Meyers

I did buy a small bottle of lysol pre-quarantine so I might add a little bit of that to water and use that. I think a little goes a long way--it was the same product in use in the 30's, and I always think of that 1928 poem by Malcolm Cowley, "For St. Bartholomews Day" about the death of Sacco and Vanzetti, and then I usually say to hell with it and go back to the Mrs. Meyers.
    I also have a couple different bottles of miscellaneous cleaning stuff around - mostly "all purpose" stuff. Will use that until it is gone and then re-evaluate. By then there may also be some stuff back in the stores.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thanks! No more vinegar rinses in the washing machine!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Thanks! No more vinegar rinses in the washing machine!
    I am still using vinegar on a load of towels. I find it makes a difference. I've only ever used it on those. I use organic detergent and haven't used a fabric softener in decades. Can't stand the smell. My neighbors do and I have to come inside when their dryers are going. It's horrible and I react to it (along with most scents).

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    My neighbors do and I have to come inside when their dryers are going. It's horrible
    Oh-emm-gee whatever our neighbors use in their dryer just reeks. I can't say I've noticed that scent on their clothes, but what comes out of the dryer vent ... why would anyone want their clothes to smell like that and so strong? To each their own, I guess. But, yeah, I don't like being anywhere near their dryer vent when they're doing laundry -- which seems to be almost every day of the week (it's just two "seniors" but they must wear their clothes only once before they're washed again).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My theory would be that any soap and water combination would be as effective on counter tops and other hard surfaces as it is on the hands. I make a mixture of vinegar, water and dish soap in a spray bottle for my usual kitchen cleaner. Along the same line I'd suspect the detergents in laundry soaps along with the dryer heat are disinfectant. I'm starting to use the clothes line now that there are warmer days. I suspect the UV rays are also effective.

I get that obnoxious dryer sheet odor from neighbors, too. I've hoped that most of the odor gets vented out as I can't imagine clothes with those strong bizarre smells.

Unrelated to Corona, but I bought a box of 20 Mule Team Borax to try in a natural ant killer recipe. It didn't do much to the ant population but the box says to use as a detergent enhancer. I can't tell that it does much added to a load of laundry, but will use up the box that way.
    Last edited by Rogar; 3-24-20 at 9:39pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I bought a box of 20 Mule Team Borax to try in a natural ant killer recipe. It didn't do much to the ant population but the box says to use as a detergent enhancer. I can't tell that it does much added to a load of laundry, but will use up the box that way.
    iirc DW uses borax in her homemade laundry detergent recipe. Before she and I met, I used it as a de facto laundry water softener with our moderately-hard water. It worked well enough for me to keep buying it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information