Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: COVID-19 and loneliness

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I am glad for you!
    I wonder if that's a common concern.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Why do you think the gun sales have skyrocketed?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Any disaster is good for gun sales. My brother and I had this recent conversation:

him: If you need to borrow gloves, antiseptic, or guns let us know (he thinks poorly of our urban ‘hood”)

me: dude, thanks for the offer but I am counting on you for a respirator (he is a respiratory therapist although currently has some kind of management job in a hospital)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Why do you think the gun sales have skyrocketed?
    I hadn't given it much thought--they've gone up before ("oh no--the black guy's gonna take our guns!") probably on rumors started by the NRA. I just figured it was something like that. Not a concern of mine.

I think people are worried about protecting their food and toilet paper should things get scarce. There have been some burglaries going on with empty businesses. Somebody in a neighborhood group was complaining because somebody was trying to break into her house and the police refused to arrest saying (she says) they won't take anybody into custody for that currently due to C19. I would somewhat question that but I also know several of our officers are ill with symptoms as well as a few in the fire department. Buy hey, the shootings seem to be down a bit...

Killing someone over toilet paper? If it came to that, I'd stand on my porch and lob TP and beans at the rascals like Trump lobbed paper towels in Puerto Rico.
    Then I'd tell them to take a bunch of other stuff I could do without, since donation centers are closed for the duration.

This TP thing is hilarious. Honestly, if Armageddon came, I'd have a long list of things I'd want stockpiled before TP. I'm not saying it isn't a great convenience, and I suppose a necessity, but there are substitutes. Just like before disposable diapers we actually used cloth ones (horrors!).

Of course, I can afford to be smug. My subscription case of 52 rolls from Who Gives A Crap just arrived today.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Who Give a Crop is that name real? Good for a chuckle this morning.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Who Give a Crop is that name real? Good for a chuckle this morning.
    Yes. I love this company. It's an Australian company, and they give 50% of their profits to sanitation initiatives in 3rd world countries. Their North American shipments come out of San Francisco, I think.

https://au.whogivesacrap.org
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have been using the telephone to reach out to somebody each day. I made call #26 about 11:30 this morning.

Sometimes I get an answering machine, but I have a pretty smooth message about "Just wondering how you (or "you guys") are doin'... I hope you're well, we are fine here." These calls usually produce some positive chit-chat, and a promise to reach out again in the future.

There may also be ways to become part of a group effort, while remaining at a distance.

For example tonight (4/11/2020) starting at 8PM Central Time, there will be a window-sing of "Lean On Me". All humanity is invited to safely light a candle or shine a light, and raise our voices in song, "to share love and gratitude for our health care workers." The invitation originated at 88Nine Radio Milwaukee.
    http://radiomilwaukee.org/event/spon...along-april-11

Thread Information