Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foraging

Do they really sting a lot? Or a little?
    Definitely A LOT. Like a burning stinging. That will stay with you for quite some time.

There are at least 2 kinds of nettles I've heard of- if its not biting you, perhaps its dead nettle and not stinging nettle.

Basically like if you could attach a thousand sewing needles to an oven mitt, then you dipped it in battery acid and lemon juice and then slapped yourself with it.

Stinging nettles.

Actually also like jellyfish stings. I got stung on the face swimming in the gulf, and my wife at the time said it would help to pee on it. Well, I didnt have to go. Anyway, she was a liar.

I dont think pee helps nettles stings, but Im not... who would be an expert on this? Botanist or biologist?

the leaves of the kind that are local here sting a little, and I was shown to identify stinging nettles by a nature guide, so I use the sensation as well as the look to identify them since. It's familiar. If I see what look like nettles I squeeze a leaf between my fingers to see if they are. I don't mind the sting but you definitely feel something not nothing from them, a prickliness, almost a numbness, but yes I willingly squeeze these things just to make sure they are nettles and nettles are still stingy and all is right with the world (or not).

But then around here there are supposedly two kinds of stinging nettles large ones and small ones and the larger ones have larger stings. I think most of them are the small kind. I have also seen things that look just like nettles with no sting, don't know what those are.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    the leaves of the kind that are local here sting a little, and I was shown to identify stinging nettles by a nature guide, so I use the sensation as well as the look to identify them since. It's familiar. If I see what look like nettles I squeeze a leaf between my fingers to see if they are. I don't mind the sting but you definitely feel something not nothing from them, a prickliness, almost a numbness, but yes I willingly squeeze these things just to make sure they are nettles and nettles are still stingy and all is right with the world (or not).

But then around here there are supposedly two kinds of stinging nettles large ones and small ones and the larger ones have larger stings. I think most of them are the small kind. I have also seen things that look just like nettles with no sting, don't know what those are.
    I did some research online about this, and there are stinging nettles and there are wood nettles and there is also Clearweed. http://identifythatplant.com/three-m...nettle-family/

The nettles I'm talking about are in my NJ yard, not VT, so I can't run outside and do the sting test.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If these are what I'm thinking they are, a friend just gave me some nettles to plant. I'm hoping they will be harvest-able by next year.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We do not have nettles in the city, and I have wondered in the past about them. So this discussion has been interesting and timely.

I think we have them in HermanN, there is this plant that has awful little hair-like stickers in it so I guess that’s nettles. I looked it up yeah I think it’s a match.

Nettles are also good for making cordage and fiber. They are too often maligned, too little used. And they are tasty to boot and high in iron. An old timey animal food supplement (after drying, to eliminate the sting).

The onion grass is my yard is now pretty high. Pulled a couple with definite bulbs, so I'll be harvesting the yard later today. Several dandelions out there as well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

How about stinging nettle spanakopita?

https://learningandyearning.com/stin...0WuLUzspx48ZlA
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    The fir trees are beginning to show their bright green baby needles. If you've never had tea made with them, you should try it. And more Vit C than you'll find anywhere else I'm told.
    Good tip, I heard this years ago but completely forgot about it. Seems important in these times, plus that's about the only thing that's forageable right now where I live, so I'll be getting out there soon for some fir tea while I scout mushroom spots.

Thread Information