Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foraging

Foraging

Found some wild onion beds, and a huge asparagus patch during a walk along the tracks. Scouted out about about 20 good looking (but who knows) spots to look for mushrooms.

Can't wait for the trees to blossom so I can find elderberry, wild plum, and if Im lucky some wild cherry.
    If 1990's Mel Gibson looked like a cross between Barney Rubble and Uncle Fester, then I look like 1990's Mel Gibson.

I just saw a recipe for dandelion salad, so those should be coming up soon for you.

I've always had a huge patch of nettles in my yard and have been dying to cook with them but I wanted to first be sure they are nettles! I'm not an expert in foraging and it would be my luck to pick a plant that looks like nettles but is a poisonous twin.

I have a friend who is a professional forager/wildcrafter and I've been dying to have him come and look, but he's never around.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have a friend who lives in WI who eats nettles. Everything really, lol. I'm not quite that bold.

Dandelions are either really bitter, or I'm doing something wrong.

I wanted to first be sure they are nettles!
    If you touch them (without having gloves on) you will instantly know whether they are nettles.

Seriously though, I'd be happy to take a picture of them in my yard- they are just coming up and email/text it to you.

I was gonna say that, because I get stung all the time, but then I got worried about them doing it and getting mad at me lol.

Mushroom season! Yay!

My breakfast this morning is a scrambled egg with sauteed dandelion leaves. I've also been trimming the onion grass to add to different things. Hoping to run across some with bulbs soon.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The fir trees are beginning to show their bright green baby needles. If you've never had tea made with them, you should try it. And more Vit C than you'll find anywhere else I'm told.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    If you touch them (without having gloves on) you will instantly know whether they are nettles.

Seriously though, I'd be happy to take a picture of them in my yard- they are just coming up and email/text it to you.
    Thanks, herbgeek. Mine definitely look like the pictures I've seen, and I've touched them, but their not all that prickly. Just a little. Do they really sting a lot? Or a little?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information