Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: How is everyone holding up?

If you need to get your mail from a group bank of boxes in your complex, PO Box, etc. (compared to your own box at your residence), and you don’t want to go out without knowing you have mail, check out the USPS Informed Delivery Service. It shows you the front of any envelopes, plus the tracking number for any inbound packages.

I’ve been using it for a week or two.

Today the local news relayed the death of a person from my community of 7,000 who died from corona virus. We have been practicing social distancing. The national news also stated to stay home this week. Do not get groceries or go to the pharmacy. Ominous.

I'm sorry, frugal-one, that is sad. We are up to four deaths now in our county, and everyone is social distancing effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Today the local news relayed the death of a person from my community of 7,000 who died from corona virus. We have been practicing social distancing. The national news also stated to stay home this week. Do not get groceries or go to the pharmacy. Ominous.
    Yes. I believe it was Saturday... Dr Birx said, "no trips for groceries or medication unless it's essential". Also the suggestion that 1 person per household does any needed trip out into the community thus exposing a lot less people. Yes, that means everyone else stays in.

Steve, can you do Zoom sessions w/grands? Read stories or other interactive things that are normal in your relationship with them?

I had happy hour with a friend tonight. I had put 2 martini glasses in the freezer. She let me know when she was leaving the hospital. I made our martinis and put hers on the patio table out front and mine in the garage. When she arrived, I opened the door. We chatted for about an hour 10-15 feet apart. It was good for both our souls. She put her glass on a shelf inside the garage and I'll leave it there for 4days.

It was so wonderful to visit. I felt safe and she felt like she did not put me at risk.

I do not like that my state is not releasing detailed information. All statistics are at the county level. I have a feeling many are at nursing homes not in my community. It is hard to assess the level of risk. Also charts are of cases which is meaningless. Of courses cases will go up as testing goes up. I would like to see mortality charts, and examine them for evidence of plateau or bent curve.

Why the stigma and reluctance to release data at the municipal level?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Steve, can you do Zoom sessions w/grands?
    Well, aside from preferring other tools than "security-schmecurity" Zoom , we've done a couple of FaceTime-like sessions over the past weeks. At 4-1/2 and 2-1/2, these kids have attention spans marked in milliseconds. They also don't have a good grasp of what the camera can see them doing, so many times they're trying to show us what they're doing out of frame. Or the camera (mom's or dad's smartphone, piloted by a parent) has to follow them around. It's just frustrating all around. If they were older... or more tired.

We've thought about that Netflix group-watch feature, though I don't notice many people talking about it ("Tiger King" appeared like a storm cloud so people are communicating, but they don't seem to be communicating about group-watching). If we can coordinate better with mom and dad, we could try maybe reading with the kids just before bedtime. It's still not a hug or a snuggle. But we'll do what we can do. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

G, that sounds like a nice way to visit.

We went grocery shopping this morning - with masks and gloves. I didn't want to go out at all but wasn't having much success with online or pickup delivery. The key is going first thing in the morning. Scored on just about everything on our list so no need to go out again for 2-3 weeks. So happy to finally get some dried pinto beans. Growing up in San Antonio, I am used to cooking a pot of pintos every month and putting jars in the freezer for various meals. Spent all day yesterday moving a raised bed to another location so now I can plants some cold weather stuff I started indoors.

Thread Information