Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: How is everyone holding up?

My 85 yo MIL who is in assisted living lockdown went to an orthopedic doctor today with her daughter who works in retail. The visit was very unnecessary as all they did was tell her once again that her elbow fracture would heal with a sling. I think she is one of those elders who just loves the attention she gets with medical care. No wonder so many nursing homes are having issues with the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    My 85 yo MIL who is in assisted living lockdown went to an orthopedic doctor today with her daughter who works in retail. The visit was very unnecessary as all they did was tell her once again that her elbow fracture would heal with a sling. I think she is one of those elders who just loves the attention she gets with medical care. No wonder so many nursing homes are having issues with the virus.
    The experience of my parents' nursing home is completely different. They aren't letting them out for any reason, and I think if they did take them to the hospital, they would not let them back.

So far, no cases there, thank God.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I've had a series of PT appointments that moved from in-clinic to teleconferencing. Seems to work about as well for this particular injury/treatment plan.
    Mom's PT just learned how to teleconference and is doing this with some patients. In my Mom's case, she is never foing to learn the Internet nor how to teleconference - with her it's in person or no appointment at all. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Mom's PT just learned how to teleconference and is doing this with some patients. In my Mom's case, she is never foing to learn the Internet nor how to teleconference - with her it's in person or no appointment at all. Rob
    Could she teleconference if you helped her?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I phone-checked on a friend in a retirement home yesterday. They are brought a menu to select their meals which are delivered to their rooms; no visitors and no going out.

What struck me this morning with a thud - imagine being cooped up in a small room on a cruise ship for weeks waiting for meals to be delivered. They interviewed a couple who had this ship-board experience and now are getting therapy to cope with the impact of it all.

I thought this as I walked the length of my house, took my dog out for his morning pit-stop and prepared to make my breakfast. Counting one's blessings is good.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

If I were in a retirement home, I'd feel as if I were living on borrowed time, considering the infection rates, but it sounds like some places are taking all precautions.

There should be more medical teleconferencing; going to doctors' appointments strikes me as a huge waste of resources. Not to mention a good way to contract something.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Could she teleconference if you helped her?
    I believe she could but she refuses to and I'm certainly not going to force her. Rob

If I was in a nursing home I would be hoping to get the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Yes! I think it would be a blessing for most of the residents, although certainly unprofitable for the nursing home owners.

Thread Information