Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How is everyone holding up?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

How is everyone holding up?

Given all the turmoil of the past few weeks? I find myself this morning both grateful to be solvent and also very much burnt out on the idea that on the other side of all this turmoil, the hospitality biz is likely to shrink and not be what it was.

I'm grateful to date that no one I know, friends or family or co-workers from before shutdown is sick that I know of. I'm grateful I went to Mexico 3/11 - 3/13 as who knows how long that border will be sealed. I'm also stepping back from politics and activism for a bit and taking a breather.

I guess I just wanted to check in and say I'm hanging in there. How is everyone else doing? Rob

We’re doing just fine here. Since all our hobbies and activities have been canceled, there’s no reason for us to go out in society. I am very very happy that this whole business started at the beginning of my favorite time of the year - spring/early summer. I’m grateful to have lots of garden space to work in and weather to do it in.

Our Neighborhood park is filled with people and that is cool to see it so heavily used. Our city has stopped vehicular traffic in several of the larger parks in order to encourage and protect pedestrian traffic.

It’s a difficult time. Been home for almost 3 weeks. Both my husband and I are extroverts. We walk the dogs but cross the street if we see anyone coming. We talk to our family and friends on the phone a lot. We are getting takeout twice a week trying to help out local restaurants. I am grateful for my son getting out of Vietnam and the stimulus money for my kids to help them through not working.

Business as usual here. Hope everyone is safe and cozy at home.

I love being quarantined in community that's really meant for summer travelers. It means no one is here as far as the eye can see, but I still have the beauty of the lake and the wildlife to bolster my spirits.

My DS has been here for 2 weeks now, and from my perspective anyway, he's been great to have here. He brings youth and life and good humor. He motivates me to cook, because he's a terrible eater and so I want to pump as much good nutrients into his body as possible (once a mother, always a mother). He used to HATE watching Jeopardy with us because it made him feel stupid--now we gather around the TV and we compete against each other and he's definitely in the competition with us--unless the topic is something like The Vietnam War.

We are fine, when all is said and done.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I think we are doing OK but I have to admit that mentally it feels like we have slipped into a different mindframe that this is very serious and may last a long time. I have what I think are allergy symptoms but I don't really know so there is that. Thinking thoughts I never thought I would think...

I will feel better once my son moves in. I am going to cook all his favorite dishes that he hasn’t had in 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I will feel better once my son moves in. I am going to cook all his favorite dishes that he hasn’t had in 18 months.
    When will that be, TT? Is he in quarantine now?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It's been a quiet week in Lake Woebegone....

DW is still at work, so she moves into her "office" around 8 and works through till about 4 or 5, when she's done, in pretty much every sense of that word. She sometimes goes back in the evenings; she wants to get her input on employee reviews on file before she retires. On the nice days, we take a walk around the neighborhood. My inside-the-house list is the same as it's been the last several years, with fewer excursions outside for ... well, anything. We do have to be reminded what day we're on. Most of our social calendar has vanished; dancing likely is done until at least the fall. Visiting family and friends is all virtual now. That's not cutting it with the grandkids, but we know distance is important right now. They're too young to understand. Concerts, meals with friends, all are waiting for another time.

The days are pretty quiet. But that's OK. We have our health, our families and friends have their health, we have enough in the house to not worry about supplies or money, and we hope it stays that way until we can venture outside again. I hope this passes quickly.

ETA forgot about DW's "night shift".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm doing just fine. Laid off last week, as you all know, but bills are paid through the end of May so I don't have to worry about that.

Working out in my living room almost every day with the dumbbells and kettlebell I already had. Do some cardio to YouTube videos. Just posted on FB asking for loan of a bike. It would be wonderful if I would be able to get outside now the the weather is getting better. Plus better cardio.

Making sure to talk with a bunch of older folks form church who are close friends. Sent several cards off today.

Thread Information