Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those Of You On Lockdown....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Those Of You On Lockdown....

And not working, how are you filling your time?

I'll start. I have been making my yard extra nice this year and am starting a summer crop project and will be sharing my yield with neighbors. Okra, Armenian Cucumber, sunflowers, peaches and figs I will be harvesting this year hopefully, along with ornamental corn.

Also I've been reading about Mexican history and helping Mom with het physical therapy exersizes.

How about you'all? Rob

I went into surgery two weeks before the lockdown. So, I have spent most of it in recovery.

Reading - some light fiction, but primarily on Great Lakes shipwrecks/regional history. Keeping in touch with friends. Wrote a long letter to a friend in California today. Getting out on my bike when the weather is good, but it's been very windy for days and now it's turning cold and rainy for the rest of the week. I don't mind the cold if I have proper gear for it, but I don't. Hope to maybe get out Sunday, but that's not a given.

There's going to be an online Great Lakes shipwreck festival on Saturday. Just like the ones I've gone to in person, but all online. Different speaker each hour. There is even going to be an online BYOB happy hour after it.

One of my shipwreck groups on FB just did an hour long interview/presentation with someone who dives a lot of the wrecks. Gorgeous photography and a great way to pass the time.

I think we're going to see a lot more of this kind of thing in the future.

Reading, catching up on some craft projects, trying to declutter, starting some seeds and thinking about a garden, cooking. Need to do more of the paperwork projects that I actually have time for now. lol.

Edited to add: I'll admit I'm still doing a smish-smosh of things. I am still not used to not working and having most of the hours in my day filled with set activities. Setting my own on a regular basis is not what I imagined. lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Until DW retires, I'm still the househusband, so I'm still working.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quit working in January, so I had a ramp up period to move from voluntary to enforced idleness. How long do you have to go without a job or a haircut before you’re officially a hippy?

I’ve been spending a lot of time helping my kid with online schoolwork. You might say I’m repeating the eighth grade.

Nothing much has changed, since I've always been a remote worker and my industry has not suffered from the pandemic. I am spending more time talking with family (my son is up here throughout his furlough), less time shopping. More time dreaming and planning about my gardens and home projects. More time cooking at home. Less time on volunteer activities that require contact with others.

The simplicity of being confined is oddly freeing to me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Last year the kids decided they wanted to grow some chard and kale here. This year they decided they wanted to do a whole lot more. So we now have 17 raised beds total and just brought in 3 loads of soil. Almost everything is planted but still waiting on a few things. There has been a run on starts and seeds in our area so the early bird gets the worm. This week is pretty much rain so I guess we can relax our sore muscles for a few days.
    We'll have apples, pears, cherries, blueberries, onions, spinach, lettuce, kale, chard, carrots, beets, celery, potatoes, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, zucchini, cucumbers, acorn delicata and butternut squash, tomatoes, peppers sweet and hot, peas, beans and small decorative pumpkins.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Nothing much has changed, since I've always been a remote worker and my industry has not suffered from the pandemic. I am spending more time talking with family (my son is up here throughout his furlough), less time shopping. More time dreaming and planning about my gardens and home projects. More time cooking at home. Less time on volunteer activities that require contact with others.

The simplicity of being confined is oddly freeing to me.
    Agreed. For me there is little strain. This is like an extended January-February for us which is always downtime in the year, with the added bonus of having unlimited time to work outside on gardens.

Gardening and seed starting, cleaning up the yard, paperwork, reading and a whole lot of cooking. I am thinking I may start taking afternoon naps for the first time in my life. It is interesting to me how living with no expectations/plans slowly creeps in. Kind of like being retired on steroids.

Thread Information