Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to figure out how to help financially

Trying to figure out how to help financially

I am fortunate to be working during the virus shutdown. Swamped, stressed, and tired but so much better off than some. Relatives are fine too. Where to begin helping the community when help is needed everywhere?

Maybe start with the mom-and-pop businesses I frequent? The cafes, etc.? They should be eligible for loans, but will that be enough? Their employees could get unemployment insurance, but how much and when?

What about some favorite nonprofits, like museums and arts organizations? Can they get loans too? Or will they sink or swim on donations?

Maybe the food banks first?

I suddenly realize with embarrassing humility how little I know about the nuts and bolts of my community and what's needed to keep it running. I can't save it all but want to help as effectively as possible. It feels like ER triage.

Not talking zillions, just a few hundred $ here and there as able.

Yppej
    Donate blood. The government is covering the financial stuff, which means you and I are with our taxes.

Yes! The blood thing is really important, really really important.

Dh is the blood donor in our house and he had just given a few weeks before this thing hit. I’m not sure that I want him going to the blood donation center unnecessarily.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-5-20 at 11:02am.

Donating blood is a great idea. As far as donating money, I'd wait and see what the needs look like down the pike--maybe six months from now.

We've thought about this as well.

When they first closed barber shops and hair salons, I contacted my barber shop and asked if I could prepay for a couple of months of haircuts to tide them over. Their answer was that they were doing okay and to come back when they were open again (which, of course, I will). I do not know if they've changed their minds based on how much longer they will have to remain closed. But they can get in touch with me if they change their minds. Or announce a plan like that.

We haven't ordered restaurant curbside pickup or takeout because, honestly, we weren't in restaurants much before the pandemic arrived. Out of the habit, I guess. But there are some hole-in-the-wall non-media-darling restaurants we suspect are running on a shoestring that we'd like to see survive, so we plan to contact them and ask how to support them.

A local GoFundMe run by a local restaurateur has been raising money to have local restaurant staffs cook meals which are then supplied to first-line medical responders (ER nurses, doctors, etc.); we sent them a portion of the stimulus funds we're going to receive. That keeps some restaurant folks employed and takes one thing off the lists of people who already are working as hard as they can.

And I will have to look into donating blood. I have in the past, but stopped for a bit because it was getting physically difficult to do.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I've upped my contributions to local animal charities facing challenges. Local TNR groups are being hampered by stay at home orders just at the start of kitten season.

I’d donate to your local food pantry. Cash (online donation).

Thanks for the suggestions. It hit me in the middle of the night that the local food bank will be the best place to start.Turns out demand is up by 50% as folks lose jobs and as hoarding makes the most basic foods harder to find. Plus physical food donations are being nixed in favor of online cash gifts to avoid spread.

Blood, great idea, but is donating even safe right now? I'd hate to be an asymptomatic virus carrier and spread it in a mobile unit or donation room. Maybe if I wear a mask?

Never mind, found some answers:

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate...-donation.html

We (well, mostly my wife) have been delivering groceries and prepared meals to various people affected by the current situation in a sort of DIY meals on wheels program. We are also continuing to pay our cleaning lady her usual fee while she’s confined at home. We plan on investing at least part of our stimulus check in gift cards from local restaurants to get them an immediate cash infusion prior to the time we can dine there again.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    We (well, mostly my wife) have been delivering groceries and prepared meals to various people affected by the current situation in a sort of DIY meals on wheels program. We are also continuing to pay our cleaning lady her usual fee while she’s confined at home. We plan on investing at least part of our stimulus check in gift cards from local restaurants to get them an immediate cash infusion prior to the time we can dine there again.
    The thing with the restaurant gift cards is will they reopen? You might be out your $$. Perhaps getting carryout might be a better idea?

Thread Information