Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you consider this?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Would you consider this?

Say you have recent lower level supervisory experience and great references as do I - at least the recent ones, anyway. Would you consider taking your supervisory skills to a grocery store setting to keep busy? Too much of a health risk? Would you sit tight for government stimulus money or would you make an effort to be reemployed STAT? Where do you personally draw the line between productivity/making a contribution to society vs. a genuine health crisis? Rob

IF I was me, probably not, I might just do nothing for a month or two. But I'm tired, real tired of it all, I spent 11 months looking for a job a year and a half or so ago (ended a year and a half ago). I had contract work that was ending (not as soon as I thought but I could NEVER get a clear answer on the length of the contract) about a half a year ago and found a full time job. If I lose that due to conronavirus ... And I will have THREE less than a year gigs on my resume as my last 3 positions at this point. One lost to working for a personality disordered person - a bully that got their way in getting me fired, one I left due to contract winding down, and one due to corona now too, ugh hopefully it doesn't happen.

If I was you I have no idea what I'd do, but if I was me, I'm just about used up. And I'm not that inclined to die for yet another short term gig.
    Trees don't grow on money

The tourism trade is going to struggle for a while. How long can you sustain yourself mentally emotionally and financially? Does the job provide valuable benefits presently lacking? Will it show longevity to meet your needs? Stores here are really making an effort to protect their workers so how much of a risk is it?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I wouldn’t risk it as unemployment is going to be very generous for 4 months. If it wasn’t a health risk I would have a different opinion.

I agree. If you can find some sort of telecommute opportunity in the meantime, take it, but not for a place where you will be in contact with lots of people.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

wrong thread

If you have enough savings to ride this out, at least for a little while, I'd sit. The asymptomatic nature of COVID-19 means we have no idea (at the time) if we are either exposed to the virus from others or exposing them to it because we have it. Some people even can have the virus and shed it without any symptoms. As a public health matter, taking a job just to stay busy doesn't seem like the civic-minded thing to do. Now, if you needed the money or were spelling essential front-line workers, I might say something different.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I would not do it.

I can't fairly answer the question as I'm retired now and living on savings. Since all my travel (concentrated in 8 weeks) has been cancelled by COVID, my expenses, hence draws from my savings just dropped by 50%. So I'm good.

Plus, RNs are in high demand so I couldn't give a fair answer anyway, because I would be working in the middle of this hazardous zone.

Rob, what are your prospects looking like to be rehired at the place from which you were furloghed? I'd think long and hard about what that was going to look like before I decided.

Thread Information