Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you do anything differently once we're back to normal?

Will you do anything differently once we're back to normal?

Will you do anything differently once we've got the all clear or will you continue certain habits you've picked up?

Examples -

*I know people who've always been check/cash only. They've switched to debit card/Apple Pay, etc., for in-store transactions and online bill pay for utilities, etc.

*Grocery pickup or delivery

*Ordering much more online - I'm doing this, ordering even toiletries and such online. My allergy meds containing pseudoephedrine must be bought in-store at the pharmacy and signed for.

*I have several friends who refused to sign up for FaceBook, but due to the stay at home orders, signed up.

*Keeping more of a stock of food, etc., at home, rather than almost bare cupboards.

What about you?

While I have enjoyed a slower pace since so many of my usual activities are unavailable, I liked my life and preparation before so little has to change now or later. I think that I mostly go with the flow whatever and wherever it takes me as a retired individual.
    Having the gorgeous spring weather has made the whole experience quite enjoyable despite the significant limitations.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Not a big deal, but I will have more of an emergency pantry such as I have now, and will keep it stocked.

I'd like to organize it better and just have backups on everything we regularly use on things like soap, and keep those things stocked at all times.

Will probably start attending church a lot more regularly! It has been the biggest loss, outside of the bigger losses of being able to be with family.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Will probably start attending church a lot more regularly! It has been the biggest loss, outside of the bigger losses of being able to be with family.
    In NJ, we started going to an Episcopal church in Asbury Park. We haven't been to any church in years, but DH felt like going. We LOVED it. It was perfect for us. Unfortunately, we can't bring the church up to VT. So we are definitely open to finding a church that works for both a Scottish Presbyterian and an Irish Catholic. The Episcopal church bridges that gap--I'm amazed I never thought of it before.

I've been watching Facebook services given by my old NJ church--the pastor there is not technological savvy, so he's delegated the service to his son (an antiques dealer) and other members of the small congregation. It's made me feel at home and the readings and home-spun sermons have been great.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Nope. As a RN I'm a well-trained hand washer. As an Infection Preventionist-even better! When you work in Surgery for 39 years, you sure the hell learn NEVER to touch yourself I generally have enough food around for 2 weeks. I hate to shop, buy very little online unless its a consumable I can no longer get in town.

Having retired in July and enjoyed having a nearly empty monthly calendar for 8 months, I've been training for this I just called a GF to reply to her text. I said "I really need a voice right now". So we chatted for 20 minutes. So I'm good for another week!

Maybe I'll shop once a week, but truth is I did one *BIG* grocery trip a week anyway, but could easily supplement it before, if I forgot something it wasn't a crisis, working walking distance to a TJs.

Maybe keep a bit more on stock, only of foods I actually eat and TP and household products. Don't wait to buy stuff so much saying "I'll think about that purchase" (now I can't buy anything some good mulling over purchases did me). Donate stuff to the thrift right away too (now I can't donate anything). Keep faster internet at home.

Nah I haven't done faceborg in a decade and why would I start now. I'd probably go back to cash rather than the credit card but shrug, it makes no real difference to me, but cash is probably a better way to track spending. I don't care about spending now is all, I'm buying my birth family food and not even getting paid for it at this point etc.. since I want to avoid bank trips.
    Trees don't grow on money

I will definitely make use of grocery pick up and delivery and visit the PO less often.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I will definitely make use of grocery pick up and delivery and visit the PO less often.

Jane, why would you visit the PO less often?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Jane, why would you visit the PO less often?
    I will wrestle more of our assets from brokerage accounts and turn them in the cash. DH can stomp his little feet all he likes.

I can honestly say that the only change will be less or no international travel. We have already been where we wanted to go. We live what most would consider a frugal lifestyle, keep a nice pantry and freezer, buy little except for our hobbies.

I might concentrate more on in depth projects requiring concentration and time rather than the quantity donation quilts done in the past. Dont even have to buy anything since they are staring me in the face. Might learn some new recipies. Doing that now and it is very satisfying.

Thread Information