Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you do anything differently once we're back to normal?

We have been shopping monthly for 8 years. Already buy most items online. Don’t shop a lot. Not sure how I will feel about international travel in 2021 but not going before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Jane, why would you visit the PO less often?
    I'm hoping to sign up for bill pay with my credit union. I have a PO box that should be less full if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm hoping to sign up for bill pay with my credit union. I have a PO box that should be less full if I do.
    I think you might be conflating two things.

You need to set up paperless billing with your utilities and the like. They will send you an email notification when your bill is available.

You then pay them electronically through your bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I think you might be conflating two things.

You need to set up paperless billing with your utilities and the like. They will send you an email notification when your bill is available.

You then pay them electronically through your bank account.
    Could very well be, I'm not familiar with the process, not having used it.

I looked into paperless billing long before corona virus just out of trying to make my life easier. The thing is the utilities that are always sneaking in some questionable charge here or there didn't seem to allow you to review your bill first but just autocharged you (oh yea sure just steal from my bank account without even letting me review the bill first ..). And the trustworthy utilities often didn't have the option (municipal utilities are as trustworthy as you can get in my experience, but not always as tech savy). Maybe it's improved but it just kind of soured me on the whole thing then. I wanted to make life easy but there was no easy, at least a few years ago.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I looked into paperless billing long before corona virus just out of trying to make my life easier. The thing is the utilities that are always sneaking in some questionable charge here or there didn't seem to allow you to review your bill first but just autocharged you (oh yea sure just steal from my bank account without even letting me review the bill first ..). And the trustworthy utilities often didn't have the option (municipal utilities are as trustworthy as you can get in my experience, but not always as tech savy). Maybe it's improved but it just kind of soured me on the whole thing then. I wanted to make life easy but there was no easy, at least a few years ago.
    APM, you can do paperless billing and online payments WITHOUT having the payment auto debited from your checking account. YOU trigger the payment, right from your bank's website. I've done it that way for years and years.

So many people don't get the difference.

Just think of it as writing an electronic check.

Yppej
    I like Trump hope handshaking will go away.

If I stay employed throughout the pandemic I will be more averse to switching jobs, appreciating that my company stood by me in tough times. If I do lose my job I will try to get a job in a more recession proof industry. I have seen medical device manufacturers are hiring in my state, for example.

This reinforces my desire to vacation closer to home, rather than possibly being stranded somewhere.

I will be loath to engage in discretionary spending, because the virus could come back in the fall or we might get hit by another one.

I will, hopefully, have a new job so that will be enough of a change to start off with.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I will, hopefully, have a new job so that will be enough of a change to start off with.
    How is your search going?

I think the just-in-time household goods inventory is a thing of the past. I could fairly easily keep a couple of months worth of TP, paper towels, hand & dish soap, laundry detergent, Tylenol, etc., in the house.

I'm not sure how the food inventory will change. I could find room for some non-perishables but we're not fans of canned vegetables and we don't eat pasta or rice or beans or canned convenience foods (soup, chili, etc.), so the stockup would be canned meat and a few regularly-used spices and that's about it. I have to weigh whether having a full fridge and freezer are worth the risks of 1) tossing food we just don't get to (why we went low-inventory in the first place); and 2) the loss of the fridge or freezer to mechanical failure or power outages -- both far more likely (at this point, anyway) than another pandemic. I notice I'm cooking more now that we're both home to eat meals. So I may change my mind once DW retires.

Other than food, we've been doing pretty well. Maybe just a little more vigilance on things like renewing regular meds quickly if we see smoke signals in the distance. Then we won't need to leave the house at all (assuming the electricity is on).

Oh, one more thing: appreciate the ability to move around. Just leaving the house to get lunch or coffee was a treat before, but being able to do it without donning hazard gear will be very much appreciated. This event is going to leave a mark on a lot of people.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information