Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you do anything differently once we're back to normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I could deal if we lived close by my parents' place. But we live a thousand miles away, and every trip down there is really difficult since we both work, and my siblings are not helpful.
    I know... usually on American Picker, the kids grew up nearby or were part of the "business"--it's a fun show to watch but even looking inside some of those barns filled to the rafters with "junk" makes me anxious.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    When we were doing our two-ton purge, a flea market guy came around every week to see how we were doing and what he could pick from us. He also took strange things... but I guess these guys know what has value.

I watch American Picker--they might have loved LDAHL's BIL's place--and a lot of times it's the next gen getting rid of parents' stuff, and they never look too upset about it, but it would be a major struggle for me. I just don't have that kind of intelligence to be able to organize and sort quickly. So I'm one of the ones who did The Purge for the kids.
    This resembled Hoarders more than American Pickers to me. I was thinking more about tetanus than treasure, if I’m honest.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    This resembled Hoarders more than American Pickers to me. I was thinking more about tetanus than treasure, if I’m honest.
    Tetanus or treasure. Sounds like it has potential as a spin-off! And similar to my favorite jalopnik column ‘Right Price or Crack Pipe’ where the author picks a used car listing and then discusses the merits of the car, followed by spirited discussion in the comments.

Perhaps you have potential for a new career in tv show development!

Spend less money, as income has gone down due to disruptions in field of education.

I won't hoard, but I will be stocked up on essential food and other items. Less going to stores. Really work on financial independence.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Really work on financial independence.
    I can't say enough positives about this goal. Peace of mind is priceless.

Yppej
    Not vote for Charlie Baker if he runs for re-election or any other office. People are really suffering. I have a coworker who has exhausted his sick and vacation time and now is going on 12 weeks unpaid FMLA to watch his kids. He is not eligible for unemployment.

0) I will enjoy life now, while I can, and not wait for "later"
    1) I will have more food production in my own hands
    2) I will maintain a larger liquid cash/assets reserve
    3) I won't eat out in our village, or patronize other stores there, much during our high tourist season
    4) I will get my supplies/tools more organized
    5) I will cull my social circle of those who didn't care

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    0) I will enjoy life now, while I can, and not wait for "later"
    1) I will have more food production in my own hands
    2) I will maintain a larger liquid cash/assets reserve
    3) I won't eat out in our village, or patronize other stores there, much during our high tourist season
    4) I will get my supplies/tools more organized
    5) I will cull my social circle of those who didn't care
    Other than #2, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I hate to garden. I do have friends that will share however. I have bartered with them in the past and will continue to do so.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Other than #2, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I hate to garden. I do have friends that will share however. I have bartered with them in the past and will continue to do so.
    #2 is liquid assets, #1 is food production on his list. Should I ask you if you are having senior moments like you asked me?

Thread Information