Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you do anything differently once we're back to normal?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    We keep a bottle of sanitizer in the door pocket and I use that before i get in the car and touch anything. Same as I do now as soon as I come out of a store.
    I've done that for a long time so not a new practice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I shop at a "bag your own" store. I keep the bag in my cart and fill it there so my bags don't touch the belt or counter at all. Trader Joe allows your own bag if you bag your own in the cart-same way. I have been to each store twice since our shelter-in-place order.

At Costco, I place each item in my cart with scan code up. Checker can scan everything touchless-they thank me.

I know it sounds like a lot of shopping-I shop for 3 seniors in 2 homes plus our needs.
    I tried doing that at Costco last week and they told me that can no longer be done and everything needs to be put on the counter.

At our Costco, they told me to leave the stuff in the basket and they quickly scanned it without touching anything. Faster than ever and fewer touches. They dont even touch things at the exit where the checker is behind a plexiglass screen.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    At our Costco, they told me to leave the stuff in the basket and they quickly scanned it without touching anything. Faster than ever and fewer touches. They dont even touch things at the exit where the checker is behind a plexiglass screen.
    I love this. They are safer and it's 1 less handling for us!

We are shopping once a week and had gotten lazy about that before. Also, avoiding supermarkets, so buying more at the farm’s store or online. Mostly when we’re not working, we’re working on the house — DH has been building a new bike rack, added to my pot rack he’d built previously, and made me a new spice cabinet.

We bought bookcases with the stimulus money, as DH is still working, and that will hopefully eliminate the need for the storage and many of the boxes here. We’ve set up the wood shelter and started moving “the sleeping giant” as my sil named it, the cord wood in the front yard, into the wood shelter.

We have plans in place if DH’s job goes away or if we need to shelter other family. All happening slowly, but it is happening. Our long-term plan is to use this whole thing to our benefit, as much as possible. So we’re culling, cleaning, organizing and rearranging towards our leaner, cheaper retirement life. Bigger veggie garden, less prefab food, less stuff, and new habits.

For some time, I’d considered that I’d done one life quest and was on the second. I had a reason to write out things a few days ago and realized I’m on my 3rd, not the 2nd. That has made a big difference. Funny how simple attitude shifts can change so much! First one took 55 years, second took 10. My being upset about the house clean and cull taking too long, even if it’s a year or two more, seems silly by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    We are shopping once a week and had gotten lazy about that before. Also, avoiding supermarkets, so buying more at the farm’s store or online. Mostly when we’re not working, we’re working on the house — DH has been building a new bike rack, added to my pot rack he’d built previously, and made me a new spice cabinet.

We bought bookcases with the stimulus money, as DH is still working, and that will hopefully eliminate the need for the storage and many of the boxes here. We’ve set up the wood shelter and started moving “the sleeping giant” as my sil named it, the cord wood in the front yard, into the wood shelter.

We have plans in place if DH’s job goes away or if we need to shelter other family. All happening slowly, but it is happening. Our long-term plan is to use this whole thing to our benefit, as much as possible. So we’re culling, cleaning, organizing and rearranging towards our leaner, cheaper retirement life. Bigger veggie garden, less prefab food, less stuff, and new habits.

For some time, I’d considered that I’d done one life quest and was on the second. I had a reason to write out things a few days ago and realized I’m on my 3rd, not the 2nd. That has made a big difference. Funny how simple attitude shifts can change so much! First one took 55 years, second took 10. My being upset about the house clean and cull taking too long, even if it’s a year or two more, seems silly by comparison.
    Thank you for sharing! I found your post very motivating and refreshing. I'm glad things are going well for you.

I think I need to turn some focus on a long term "plan" and use it for motivation in daily activities.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

It does take a long time to get rid of a lifetime of stuff. When 5 of us moved across the country in 1993 half of our stuff went. In 1997 when I divorced I took about a third. Then remarriage and a big house with my 14 year old stepson and 2 of my adult kids to go to college added more stuff. Started downsizing in 2006 and mostly done except for my husband’s junk.

It would be nice to have a second bathroom in case one of gets sick we can isolate from each other but that is unlikely to happen.

I think this has definitely re-set my dining out expectations for the future. We've only gotten take-out once since the stay at home advisory on 3/24 and we've been eating very well. I also think it's likely that DH will choose not to go back to work on a regular schedule, but will go in as a per diem once the risk has subsided.

I have wondered how much it is to install a plexiglass barrier in between the front and back seats of my car like taxis have. My parents still drive but at some point in the future I expect to be taking them to medical appointments etc.

Thread Information