Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you do anything differently once we're back to normal?

I wouldn't keep all the rice etc. in the world on store either, I eat it but not bags and bags and bags etc. is the problem. What I'd like to have on store is really novelty items I half think (but come a worse pandemic than this I really should have the rice and pasta and beans instead DUH!!! So maybe) But right now, oh for jarred artichokes, oh for tomatoes. There is other food in the world I know, and I'm eating it.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I looked into paperless billing long before corona virus just out of trying to make my life easier. The thing is the utilities that are always sneaking in some questionable charge here or there didn't seem to allow you to review your bill first but just autocharged you (oh yea sure just steal from my bank account without even letting me review the bill first ..). And the trustworthy utilities often didn't have the option (municipal utilities are as trustworthy as you can get in my experience, but not always as tech savy). Maybe it's improved but it just kind of soured me on the whole thing then. I wanted to make life easy but there was no easy, at least a few years ago.
    I have every single bill autopay and electronic billing. I get every bill weeks before it is due just like paper. Most are auto pay approx 3 weeks after receipt so if you don't like something you see, there is sufficient time to appeal just like with paper.

Those of you who like to go on cruises - do you think you will be less inclined to do so in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    How is your search going?
    I've been applying for ones that I see here and there, but still waiting for my background check to clear for the school job... for once schools re-open, hopefully! I haven't heard anything from the ones I've applied - but since they are office type jobs, I'm not sure I'll hear anything any time soon.

I've read here and there that your search is hopeful?? Continued good luck!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I've been able to cut my grocery shopping runs from once or twice a week to every two weeks with some planning. I think especially with some fresh produce from the garden I could keep to that schedule and save some time running around. I've been baking all my own bread since all of this started. That's a fairly easy and rewarding chore I should be doing more of. I was lucky to be in a cycle where most of my necessities were well stocked. I will definitely have greater reserves in the future.

When you say back to normal, I'm wondering what that normal will look like and how long it will take. I could see people getting back to restaurant and coffee shop visits fairly quickly. I'm less certain about pleasure travel on airlines or ships. I would not want a pandemic to be the cause, but could picture this as how a world might resemble to drastically reduce carbon emissions. Our lifestyle has a lot of unnecessary fossil fuel based travel and maybe this will be helpful as an example of how to live without some of it. I could see or hope the working from home and teleconferencing rather than long distance travel as something that could stick. Our front range cities have visible pollution on many or most days depending on the weather. I've noticed and the local news has commented on how much cleaner the air has been.

I think I will continue to be a little bit more of a germaphobe, and will probably carry a greater inventory of non-perishable foods and other household items.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Those of you who like to go on cruises - do you think you will be less inclined to do so in the future?
    I'm already having second thoughts about the cruise our college friends are planning to take in four years. But that's four years away, by which COVID-19 can be a bad memory or a fire that refuses to go out, or COVID-n can spring to life, or cruise lines (however few of them are left) figure out better ways to sanitize the vessel. I had no plans to hop on a cruise before then; that hasn't changed now.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Long term, I don’t see this thing driving permanent changes for me any more than SARS, MERS or H1N1 did in their time; except maybe do a few more things online than I once did.

We love cruises but don’t know if I will ever go on one again.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I'm so happy that we hated the 1 cruise we did. Wasted money and super expensive d/t the time of year my sister planned it! With all the disease that has passed around ships for the last 5 years, I wouldn't go on a first class cabin cruise FREE! Nope, not me.

Thread Information