Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Price Increases and Inflation

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Mid-priced white appliances just seem to be hard to come by, period. We've been sorta-shopping for a washer and dryer (ours have run far longer than anyone said they would) and we want white and mid-priced and you've got to be flexible on model or even brand. Stainless steel models seem easier to find; I think SS is just way more popular than white is now. Thank goodness we're not fixed on some other color ("Black Stainless" or "Toast" or such).

Target will not sell you a white microwave off the floor unless it's one of those $49 cheapies. Best Buy won't sell you black off the floor. It's a little challenging.
    The story the salesman gave me is that stainless is the better seller and gets preference for parts in that are in critical supply. I suspect you're right about the other odd colors.

I bought a used car in February 2020. Since then I put 5,800 miles on the odometer. I checked the trade-in value, based on Kelly Blue Book. KBB says the trade-in value now is $1,500 more than I paid for the car.

I have no intention of trading in the car in the foreseeable future... but I believe the numbers indicate how vehicles are becoming more dear. (Dear, in terms of price, that is.)

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    And as prices go up, the interest in savings goes down. It's a double whammy.
    Once again, I'm an outlier.....nothing new in my case LOL. With these price increases, I actually want to buy less and have less and save more - prices rising quickly makes me want to walk away from consumption more. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I bought a used car in February 2020. Since then I put 5,800 miles on the odometer. I checked the trade-in value, based on Kelly Blue Book. KBB says the trade-in value now is $1,500 more than I paid for the car.

I have no intention of trading in the car in the foreseeable future... but I believe the numbers indicate how vehicles are becoming more dear. (Dear, in terms of price, that is.)
    The days of high school kids working minimum wage jobs to buy their first car for $500 and kept it afloat with their wages - they are truly Gone With The Wind - seriously. It's hard for me to believe now that such a time ever existed, seeing these auto costs. I am so glad, so so so very glad that I have set up my life to be auto free. I just don't want to deal with these costs - life is short and I'd rather spend my life energy - diminishing slowly as I age - in other ways. Rob

One thing I will say regarding increasing prices - My last trip to Ambos Nogales (meaning I went to both sides of the border) - on the US side a few blocks north of the border there is a sold by weight Goodwill. No stretching the truth here - shirts for .29, sweatshirts for .49, and decent shoes, used but perfectly acceptable, 1.50 a pair. I took a large wheeled duffel bag - also from this Goodwill from an earlier trip - and filled it with cheap but decent condition clothes for myself and SO. My take? No one really knows what is coming next and clothes are a necessity - why not stock up while the stocking up is good.

Though I will say one thing - one reason I have been able to scoop up these deals? Day tripper Mexican Nationals who would normally pounce on these deals are not able to cross the border at the moment, allowing people like me to swoop down. I had to take advantage of that as who knows how much longer the US/Mexico border will be closed to Mexican nationals? (We are allowed to cross at the moment as always, regardless of the media telling us that the border is closed. It's not closed going south). Rob

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post

That is really something, dado potato! Was just talking with one of my kids about buying a car and they just couldn't understand how people afford them now-a-days - both new and used.

Rob, I agree about the younger first-time car buyers and the $500 used cars. I know in our extended family, the cars get passed around/handed down a couple times.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

This morning the Bureau of Labor Statistics released the Consumer Price Index updated for June.

The seasonally adjusted CPI for all urban consumers increased 0.9%. That was the largest one-month increase since June of 2008.

The year-over-year CPI increase was 5.4% for all items, or 4.5% for all items except food and energy.

The year-over-year change in the index of used car and truck prices was up 45.2%. I suppose that is good news for somebody who bought a used car a year ago, or has one to sell now. But this is not good news for those who can't wait to buy one!

The stated mindset of the Fed is that inflation is "transitory", as though the first bouts of inflation will be temporary. Now we have had 5 consecutive months of CPI that was higher than economists were forecasting.

Among consumers there is a widespread "buy now" mindset, regardless of price. I see articles on How to Buy a House in a Seller's Market... "Be ready to act instantly." ..."Insert an Escalation Clause in your offer."

I am sure there are also consumers who would decide to wait a while before making a major purchase.

By waiting, consumers allow time for the supply chain to work its kinks out. It might be a few months to relieve congestion at the ports of Oakland and Long Beach. It might be a year to improve the supply of semiconductor chips.

In any market, price increases may be sticky or not. The sticky price increases tend to go up without coming back down. Those who believe this bout of inflation is transitory are counting on price increases that will not stick.
    Last edited by dado potato; 7-14-21 at 10:39am.

I am curious about the supply and cost of vegetables now and over the next year normally grown by the western US which is now undergoing the severe heat stress and water shortage.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Heard today that coffee price is supposed to go "sky high". Didn't hear why???

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Heard today that coffee price is supposed to go "sky high". Didn't hear why???
    Brazil is experiencing a severe drought impacting the production of coffee.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information