Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Price Increases and Inflation

I find it interesting that some sale prices are what used to be the regular prices.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Producer Price Index (PPI) for food in May 2020 was 6% higher than May 2019. Meat prices increased 40% compared to a year ago. (Seasonally adjusted).

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Meat prices increased 40% compared to a year ago. (Seasonally adjusted).
    I realize that's a national index, but I'm sure not seeing that here (and I think groceries here are more expensive than they are in most of the middle U.S.). dado, you're in northern WI. Are you seeing these kinds of price increases near you?

Beef seems to be expensive but those prices have been creeping up for quite a while. I kind of stopped looking when (conventionally-raised) chuck roast hit $5 per pound. When I was in Nice Grocery near us recently, I think it was $7 per pound and I simply shook my head at the idea. Chuck roast! But I still see pretty much any cut-up (conventionally-raised) chicken part for well under $2 per pound and I haven't noticed the price of organic chicken (or pork ftm) up at all. Hmm.... Not saying it isn't happening, but we seem to be somewhat insulated from that up here in da nort.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm seeing price increases in many areas. Not huge increases, but enough to get my regular shopping trip from the old totals of $50-65 up to $75 or more. (a week) I've said this before, but it is interesting to see "sale" prices at what were the old regular prices.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

I'm paying more for food but I mostly blame myself, as I switched food buying habits due to the pandemic. I now choose grocery stores where the lines aren't too bad (I can't shop off hours, if I'm working) and also where I can get all the food I need for a week at one store (makes somewhere limited like Trader Joe less attractive though the prices are better, but it's just too limited in selection most of the time). End result is I shop more expensive places (local chains), also since it is once a week I do more stock up, mostly on non-perishables, but it's more money spent. And since I'm in a rush to get in and out I look at prices much less resulting that I've bought some things that were pretty pricey when I looked at it later.

So the great savings some claim to have achieved in the pandemic, nah food was always a significant bill and it went up, never mind paying $50 and more for huge amounts of TP when it wasn't available otherwise. And well me and my bf almost never (except restaurants) paid for entertainment anyway, we did free things, most of which were closed in the lockdown too of course, but there was no savings there, I mean when the entertainment budget is near zero to start, not much blood in a stone.

I see these as days of mere survival, not plush abundance and overflowing wallets. :| May we survive this.
    Trees don't grow on money

I'm surprised that prices at Amazon Fresh are often lower than at most local stores. Maybe they're consciously trying to build a customer base. At any rate, I continue to be happy with the service, and I'm probably spending about the same amount as pre-pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    since I'm in a rush to get in and out I look at prices much less resulting that I've bought some things that were pretty pricey when I looked at it later.
    Good point. I'll toss something in the cart if we need it rather than make a separate trip to Target or the store where I usually bought the item because it was less expensive. I'm guessing our grocery bill (plus cleaning items and some health & beauty aids) is higher than it was, but all the more so for seeing it on one register tape rather than the three or four on which all the items usually appeared. I'm just not seeing higher prices so much on meat specifically.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    dado, you're in northern WI. Are you seeing these kinds of price increases near you?

in da nort.
    I compared printed cash register tapes from trips to the same store in May of 2020 and 2019. I found several unit prices for identical items (but unfortunately no unit prices for meats, which you were asking about).
    For many items there has been no price increase ... In my neck of the woods 1.75L of Korbel (used in mixing an Old Fashioned) went up from $19.99 to $24.99. But the price subsequently went back to $19.99. (The best sort of price increases are the temporary ones!)

In the interval of one year, the prices I paid on some items increased as follows:
    bananas from .63/lb to .69/lb (up 9.5%)
    half-gal. whole milk from $1.99 to $2.19-$2.29 (up 10-15%)
    doz. large eggs from $1.07 to $1.49 (up 39%)
    16 oz jar Planters dry-roasted peanuts from $1.99 to $2.99 (up 50%)
    single fresh lime from .99 to $2 (up 100%)

I see that the Missouri Farm Bureau is encouraging consumers to buy meat direct from local farmers, and on their website is a Meat Producer Directory. I do not know which other states may have a similar initiative.

For consumers with an interest in grass-fed beef, free-range chickens, etc, in a particular state (such as Minnesota), there is a directory of producers at http://www.eatwild.com/products/minnesota.html

Thanks, dado. I'll check out that eatwild site. Our local farmer's market is encouraging direct connection to producers, as well, with an eye toward prepaying for orders to be picked up at the market or, in some cases, delivered.

A woman on our neighborhood Facebook group struck a deal with one of the local Hmong farmers to supply fresh vegetables as they come into season. She created a Google order form, you send her the money for what you've ordered (PayPal or Venmo), she transmits the orders to the farmer and his family, and, on Sundays, she picks it up (along with her order) and brings it back to the neighborhood for us to pick up.

The option last week (the first week this was tried) was $30 worth of produce but you could choose what you wanted in the bag. I ended up with maybe five heads of lettuce (of various kinds), five cucumbers, two meals' worth of bok choy, a big bunch of kale, a bunch of cilantro, and probably something I'm forgetting. Very fresh, fairly clean, and enough that I won't need to order this week despite eating salads every day. I'm enjoying truly fresh local produce, the farmer is getting more business (since many of us would not be braving the market weekly), and thw woman coordinating all this is meeting her goal of fresh produce and getting to know her neighbors. Wins all around.

So, I always pay for groceries with the credit card for the cash-back earnings. Just paid the cc bill and then decided to add up the supermarket charges for the month. WAY over my normal grocery spending by twice as much!!! Time to re-group!

Thread Information